Author Topic: Who was Methusalem Hughes  (Read 5107 times)

Offline neno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who was Methusalem Hughes
« on: Friday 15 November 13 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I have come to a full stop in my search and thought that I would ask for help here.
The furthest I can go back is a 1803 marriage at Machynlleth.
Methusalem Hughes of this parish, bachelor, son of Thomas Hughes, cooper, by Jane his wife, aged twenty four years and Margaret Davies of this parish, spinster daughter of John Davies, husbandman, and Judith  his wife, aged twenty two years.
The witnesses were John Killing and Richard Jones. I believe that Richard Jones was a church warden as he was a witness at other marriages.
Suggestions on where to look would be welcomed.
Thank you

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Methusalem Hughes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Parish records for this parish and most of Mont. & Wales, can be navigated to via this page:

http://forebears.co.uk/wales/montgomeryshire/machynlleth#birth

If you click on See All Birth & Baptism Records for Machynlleth, there is a link to non-conformist baptisms, which includes a popular chapel in Machynlleth. With such an unusual name it would not surprise me if he came from a non-conformist family. Remember to earch for just the surname as it would be an easy name to mis-transcribe.

If you can't find a baptism, you are lucky enough to have the parent's names, so look for a marriage for them.

Offline neno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 December 13 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I see that I have not said thank you for your help in finding Machynlleth baptisms. the only excuse I have is that I followed the link and got carried away as I found others that I have been looking for, but not Methusalem's.
I feel guilty having been drilled in my youth to say thank you for any gift or help.
So a big THANK YOU and apologies.

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 December 13 23:11 GMT (UK) »
No problem. If I can't find the individual in parish records, the first place I would look would be the Welsh will for Hughes in Machynlleth, which are freely available at:

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

Select

Name: Hughes:
Parish: Machynlleth

From the drop downs.

Did you see this? Could be another person?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCKH-GQP

Methusalem son of John Hughes & Sibyl.

It's also possible he was Methusalem, son of Hugh, but I do not have a FindMyPast subscription to check. Though I can't see any in Montgomery, Machynlleth, is on the Cardigan border, and I don't believe they have particularly good parish register survival. I'm also not sure how extensive FindMyPast's records are. I know they have not transcribed some registers they have images for.

Offline neno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 January 14 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I have done it again!!!!!
Followed the link to the wills and did not say thank you.
If I carry on like this, I will be too ashamed to ask for help on RootsChat.
Thank you for showing me how to find wills without having to go to Aberystwyth.
The 1770 Methusalem was not the one I am looking for, wrong parents.
He was the son of Thomas Hughes, Cooper by Jane his wife.
Many thanks

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:14 GMT (UK) »
It seems like this family may of been non-conformist then.

I would look for a Thomas Hughes & Jane marriage between 1760 and 1780. Then look to see if you can find a trail of children for them. It is always possible they may have become non-conformist after having several children.

I can only see on marriage that fits in Montgomery in 1765 in Llansantffriad. The name Methusalem is concentrated around this area.

It may also be worth investigating, other Biblical named Hughes in the area

Ezekiel Hughes married 1803 (x2)

Offline neno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Still no nearer to finding Methusalem but I did find the baptism records of their sons by following your idea that they could be nonconformist.
Thank you

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I've just seen this thread. Not sure if this is any help but in some of my own Montgomeryshire records, I have Methusalem and Margaret  having a son,  Griffith,  bpt Weslyan Chapel, Penegoes, 15 Dec 1815. Methusalem is recorded as a labourer of Glasywll (3 miles s of Machynlleth and right on the border with Cardigan).

Can't find anything more on Methusalem in Machynlleth. His family were either early non-cs or originally from another parish.

It might take a while to search for them. If I find anything more, I'll let you know.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cennydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 February 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Methuslaem Hughes Uwchygarreg (servant) so reads the burial record Machynlleth church 4 May 1833 aged 55

His marriage by banns was also at Machynlleth church Oct 28 1803 to Margaret Davies d/o of John (husbandman) and Judith

A quick perusal (and it was quick) of baptism records for Machynlleth were 26 march 1804 John where mother's name given as Martha (transcriber error)  Uwchygarreg and 19 July 1806 Jane (born 27) Isygarreg lab

This would suggest that they were living in "rural" Machynlleth parish rather than the town part

No gravestone according to Montgomeryshire genealogical Society records