Author Topic: Old piece of carved wood - Titanic connection?  (Read 14713 times)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Old piece of carved wood - Titanic connection?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 November 13 20:27 GMT (UK) »
It also looks very similar to the panel on the 1st Class Staircase of the RMS Olympic (Titanic's Sister).

http://www.rmsolympic.org/tour.jpg

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 November 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
That winged woman looks just like the winged woman on the Coat of Arms of Ireland

Looks very like the winged woman - just missing the harp Sinann.
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 November 13 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Also looks like a figurehead so there may not be an Irish connection.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rachael89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 November 13 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow, all this information is remarkably interesting! I can definitely see the similarity between the figure on my carving and the winged maiden from the Irish heraldry - I can only imagine that's the figure the carving is meant to represent.

The information about the Olympic is also interesting. Relevant to that is the fact the Olympic was scrapped in Jarrow at Palmer's shipyard. My great-granddad recalls working for Palmer's in his memoirs...

I'm just wondering what part of the ship it could have come from. It seems too ornate to have been meant for the banisters, and the design you can see on them in this photo is more basic-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/White_Swan_Hotel_Olympic_staircase.jpg

Curioser and curioser!

Virgin, Mogford, Grant, Clay, Moss, Santer, Arkle

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 November 13 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Not necessarily the woman on the Harp but certainly the same style, winged women were used for a few things I think.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 November 13 06:35 GMT (UK) »

The information about the Olympic is also interesting. Relevant to that is the fact the Olympic was scrapped in Jarrow at Palmer's shipyard. My great-granddad recalls working for Palmer's in his memoirs...

I'm just wondering what part of the ship it could have come from. It seems too ornate to have been meant for the banisters, and the design you can see on them in this photo is more basic-

Hi Rachael,

It looks very similar to the panel underneath the clock on the main staircase of the Olympic, although it is a shame that the picture isn't clearer.  Could possibly have been another panel.

May be worth contacting the White Star Line History Society.  They may be able to identify it, if indeed it came off of one of the ships.

http://www.whitestarhistory.com/olympic

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 November 13 14:36 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely piece of history...it could be part of a frieze...the winged lady seems to symbolize speed.... I recall seeing this type of carving on the bow of some old ships in the past.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 November 13 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Could the winged lady be Nike, the Greek Goddess of Victory?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_(mythology)

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 November 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
This White Star line web site is amazing and well worth a look:

http://www.wslmf.org/olympic%20carpet.html

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU