Author Topic: 19th century police service records in Northern Ireland  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 19th century police service records in Northern Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 December 13 13:49 GMT (UK) »
My ignorance is increasingly obvious, Falkryn, and I'm grateful for your knowledge and guidance.  I dismissed too quickly, without properly understanding it, the information PRONI staff turned up for me.  I will be better armed and prepared for my next visit; thank you.
Moorhead - Carnew, Lisnaward & Garvaghy
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Elder - Ballymoney, Coleraine, Portstewart
Kennedy - Coleraine & Knock, Belfast
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 December 13 18:05 GMT (UK) »
According to Jim Herlihy’s book on RIC personnel, Service numbers 1- 4000 covered officers recruited in the years 1816 – 1840. I would infer from that, that those RIC records incorporate career details of police officers who worked for County Constabularies and then transferred into the Irish Constabulary in 1830. So it might be worth checking out those early records.

There were also one or two other types of “police” in Ireland at that time. One that springs to mind were the Revenue Police who, I think were also amalgamated into the RIC in the 1860s or thereabouts.
Elwyn

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 December 13 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn, thank you.
I have found a street directory record at PRONI for 1863, which records an Edward Hay of New Row, as a coachmaker and process server - could a process server be classified as a policeman, do you think? 
Of course, at this point I don't know if the entry refers to Edward Hay Senior, or Junior!
I think I'll head back to PRONI and Jim Herlihy's book and start again after the Christmas dust has settled.
Thank you again for sharing your information, Elwyn.  I'm learning so much from everyone's posts, and I'm very grateful to you all.
Gail  :)
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 December 13 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Coleraine has (or at least should still have as it was part of Irish Room collection before it was moved to Library on Queens St.) an 1846 Slater's directory- wonder if/how Edward will be listed there. If I get a chance the next time I'm in town I'll have a look for it.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 December 13 17:53 GMT (UK) »
That would be hugely appreciated, Elwyn, but please don't go out of your way.  I visited Coleraine's library last month so could look this up next time I'm back in the area.  I have to say the staff there were wonderfully helpful and friendly so if I got stuck, I feel I could ask for their help.  Must be something in the water!  ;D
Many thanks.
Gail
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 February 14 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Coleraine has (or at least should still have as it was part of Irish Room collection before it was moved to Library on Queens St.) an 1846 Slater's directory- wonder if/how Edward will be listed there. If I get a chance the next time I'm in town I'll have a look for it.

Thought I would have gotten into Coleraine to check at the library but unfortunately it's not going to happen in near future but will let you know if and when I can get there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!