Author Topic: Patrick COLLIER from Tullamore  (Read 4623 times)

Online haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick COLLIER from Tullamore
« on: Wednesday 20 November 13 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
     I'm doing research on the above Patrick COLLIER b c 1810 in Tullamore, OFFALY (Kings county as it was known) who emigrated to New York about the 7th day
of August 1837, (from Cork) aged 27 (Catholic).

He stayed in the US and we have all the relevant information on him there, would like to find out any information on him from his home in Tullamore.

I realise that finding Catholic baptisms for the period he was born is very difficult but thought I would try and find any information from any other records if possible.

I have found out that there is a book by Brian Mitchell called "A Guide to Irish Parish Registers".  Is it true that the Tullamore registers go back to 1801??

Kind regards Dianna from Oz

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick COLLIER from Tullamore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 23:17 GMT (UK) »
The Baptismal  record for Tullamore R.C. parish start only in 1819. The  Marriage registers  are available from 1819.
Do you have any names for Patrick's siblings - If so  perhaps they could be found post 1819.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Online haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annclare
    Thanks for that no don't have any siblings as his will does not mention anyone in Ireland have his children wife etc. but all in NEW YORK.  It's always so difficult doing Catholic research in Ireland.

I thought there maybe some mention of the Colliers in the Tithe Applotments perhaps.

{book by Brian Mitchell called "A Guide to Irish Parish Registers".  Is it true that the Tullamore registers go back to 1801??}  I was hoping that this information maybe correct.

I don't know how common the name 'COLLIER' is in Ireland or this particular region of Ireland perhaps a death could be found for 'COLLIER' being Patricks parents/father. So difficult but many thanks for your reply.  regards Dianna

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 November 13 11:00 GMT (UK) »
From John Grenham's site at the Irish Times - may be of interest.
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?Surname=Collier&fuseaction=Go.

annclare

Edit:  just noticed that link is not working
suggest you go to website www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname - put in Collier and you will get the Collier surname distribution in Ireland c. 1855.
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary