Author Topic: Burial Look Up - James and Mary Knight  (Read 2057 times)

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Look Up - James and Mary Knight
« on: Thursday 21 November 13 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on where James Knight born 1823 in Warfield, Berkshire, died 1900 Easthampstead, Berkshire and Mary Knight born 1825 Maidenhead, Berkshire, died 1908 Reading, Berkshire, may be buried.

The descendant that contacted me is certain they are buried in Bray Parish (Holyport) Cemetery and they have requested a picture of the headstone.  I recently photographed Bray Parish Cemetery and do not have a James or Mary Knight on my records, it is entirely possible I may have missed them as I had my husband with me at the time and he was moaning about how it may be considered a bit odd to be hanging around a cemetery taking pictures.  So I was a bit rushed. 

I would be most grateful is someone would be able to confirm a place of burial or suggest the best approach.

Thanks in advance.
Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Look Up - James and Mary Knight
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 November 13 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can't help with the query I'm afraid. 

I don't know Berkshire at all so it is possible for them to have died in different registration districts but be buried in the same cemetary?

Does the descendant know for certain there is a headstone?    You may not have missed it if there wasn't one to photograph
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 November 13 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

That is a possibility.  However I have my suspicions that they had been living in a different town for some time before their deaths.

The descendant mentioned that a cousin of his was to have originally taken a picture of this headstone, but unfortunately passed away before he could do so.  There are definitely some of his ancestors buried in Bray Parish Cemetery as I photographed the headstone of his great great uncle.

Oh well, more digging to do, if you pardon the pun.
Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 08:14 GMT (UK) »
I can't find either burial in the Berkshire Family History Society's Burial Index (v11 Dec 2012).

I am assuming that there is an update due fairly soon if BFHS follow their normal update pattern.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking HarryW

I have strong suspicions that they're not where the descendant thinks they are.

Offline Juliefrances

• RootsChat Extra
  • The West Family, Marlow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 March 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You were looking in the wrong cemetery I'm afraid, there are Knights buried in the one called Bray Lawn, it's a very small cemetery found just outside Holyport on the Windsor Road, it's so easy to miss and a lot of people don't realise it's there. The Knights in my husbands line are all buried there, apparently it was for the poor people of the area not "good" enough to be buried at Bray Church. I have a book somewhere listing all Knight graves I found marked, I will try and find it out over the weekend and let you know.

Julie
Berkshire - Warwick, Cox, Knight, Hicks, Randall, Ranscombe<br />Buckinghamshire - West, Thatcher, Stroud, Light, Hiscock<br />Hampshire - Light, Hiscock

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 March 14 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Julie for your reply.  Bray Lawn Cemetery outside Holyport is in fact Bray Parish Cemetery as it is now known since it's expansion.  So entirely possible I missed them or they did not have a legible headstone.  I guess a revisit is in order.

Bray Parish Cemetery