Author Topic: How long before Death could be assumed?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How long before Death could be assumed?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 November 13 22:01 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks Jebber, - that is exactly what I was looking for!

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline lordb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 November 13 19:14 GMT (UK) »
A further question please, If the spouse remarried would there be a comment on the MC other than 'widow' ?

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 November 13 19:23 GMT (UK) »

No, - I have the Marriage Cert for Mary Dyer and George Holman in East Grinstead in 1855, - and it just says 'Widow' for her.

Bearing in mind that she married William Dyer in 1846, their son was born in 1847, and she didn't marry George Holman until 1855... I'm guessing that she had to wait for 7yrs.

HTH, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline lordb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 November 13 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Romilly

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 November 13 21:59 GMT (UK) »

I'll post it here, - just to clarify.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 December 13 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I have wondered for some time about the transportation situation. If someone just disappears and isn't seen for 7 years, that makes a lot of sense. However, if the spouse is known to exist, but be out of reach for an inordinate length of time because of something like transportation, allowing a remarriage would be a de facto divorce, surely?

I suspect the reasoning will have been along the lines that "By the time you have been here 7 years, your spouse back home will have been entitled to obtain a judicial declaration that you are presumed dead. They will probably do that. So let's assume it ... and let you get on with creating a new life for yourself right away.

Pragmatic? Certainly! Reduces the number of children whose parents die before they are of full age ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright