Author Topic: Virginia Births - Sarah Pritchards WHITE  (Read 1439 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Virginia Births - Sarah Pritchards WHITE
« on: Friday 22 November 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

My 5X Great-Grandmother Sarah Pritchards WHITE, was born in 'Virginia, America' sometime around 1769.

Are you aware of how I may find a birth record for her?

Or if no such records exist for that period, are there any other sources you can suggest I look for?

(I have records for her from 1790-1860 in London, England. Nothing for her time in Virginia though (c1769-c1790)).

Many thanks and kind regards,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Births - Sarah Pritchards WHITE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 15 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I've realised that my 5X Great-Grandmother Sarah would've been about seven years old when the Declaration of Independence was signed.

I know nothing about her time in Virginia. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like to find her birth record if possible, or other records regarding her life in Virginia.

Thanks for your help,
Glen  :)
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
It is very doubtful there would be a record of her birth that early, unless it was in a family Bible.

What were her parents' names?  Did she marry in Virginia?  What was her husband's name?  Children?

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Unfortunately, I havenīt found her parents names yet.

She married twice in London, England. The first time, aged 21, to James Grant on 28th Nov 1790. Sarah was then widowed and she married Godfrey Langhelt on 12th August 1804 (aged 35 by then). Godfrey and Sarah had a few children. I descend from this 2nd marriage.

Pritchards is an unusual middle name, so I was hoping this might make it easier to locate her in some Virginia record set. Iīm wondering whether itīs a maiden name of her mother or grandmother, but this is just an assumption.

Iīve never researched the 1700s before and Iīve also never researched Virginia before.

Kind regards, Glen

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 15 14:30 GMT (UK) »

Where did you get the information that her maiden name was White and she was born in Virginia?

You might try the Library of Virginia site, but not knowing her father's name, it may be difficult, if not impossible, to find any record of her.  1790 is the first U.S. census, and only heads of households are listed.

http://www.lva.virginia.gov/   --   then see "Virginia Memory"

Also, try to find ship passenger lists from Virginia to England which might have her name.

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 November 15 16:25 GMT (UK) »
"Virginia, America" is her place of birth recorded on the English census and White is her maiden name - as per 1st marriage record.

It's a long-shot but I'm hoping her middle name Pritchards will help me in my research, because I'm assuming it's a family name - for example possibly her mother's maiden name. I'm also hoping that one of their sons is named after their White grandfather, which should narrow down my search for Whites in Virginia. That's all I have to go on, at the moment, to be honest.

Thanks. I'll try the 1790 census for Whites and I'll email the library.

Thanks for the tips, Glen

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 January 16 21:37 GMT (UK) »
When I'm stuck (which is quite often)  ;) I like to research where the trail goes cold (in this case, England).  Perhaps you've already researched the following, but I thought I might make some suggestions?

Reading Sarah's and James' marriage banns(?), it appears that Sarah signed her name.  Perhaps her family had money, or there was some other reason that she could write her name?  Most likely not, but I wonder if there were any subtle differences between English penmanship and penmanship learned in North America?  Perhaps while Sarah apparently was born in Virginia, her parents returned to England shortly after her birth?  Finding out if Sarah's penmanship was just typical 1700s, or possibly North American penmanship might give clues as to when she left America.

Have you followed up on the witnesses to their marriage: William and Jane Gourlay (the spelling may not be correct).  Could they have been related to either James or Sarah, or were they just members of the church and signed as witnesses?

The marriage was in 1790.  I would guess that she knew James for a time prior to their marriage which could indicate that she was living in England some time prior to her marriage.  Or, did she meet James in America and they returned so that he could be married near his family?

Have you tried looking for White's or Pritchard's, for births, marriages and/or deaths in the London area, especially connected to St. George, Bloomsbury?

Have you tried looking for White's or Pritchard's, born c1767 (or c1737) Virginia, on English census returns to see if a sibling could be found? 

So far, I haven't found anything helpful, but I'll continue to have a look around.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 January 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
There is also a chance that Pritchards was a name that was handed down more than one generation.  I have one line that handed down a surname for several generations.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Somehow I missed these two posts from you! Thank you ever so much! Great tips! I'll give them a go.

Thank you,
Glen :)