Author Topic: Rathdown registration district  (Read 3538 times)

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rathdown registration district
« on: Friday 22 November 13 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I have read that the Rathdown registration district overlaps between Co Dublin & Co Wicklow, so would anybody know if you were born in the Co Wicklow part of Rathdown district would the birth be registered in Co Wicklow or Co Dublin because all relevant records I have seen for Rathdown so far appear to be from Co Dublin
My reason for asking this question is that I am trying to source the birth record for my g-grandmother Bridget Byrne, I have record for her in the 1901 census as a 20-year old born in Co Wicklow and living with her parents and siblings at Albert Place in Kingstown Co Dublin. From this we were able to source baptism records through RootsIreland for all her siblings in the Kingstown & Rathdown registration districts and then a GRO copy of her parent’s (John Byrne & Ellen Ward) marriage in Rathdrum Co Wicklow on 8th May 1878 but so far for Bridget there is nothing.
I have sourced GRO copies of all six of the Bridget Byrne births in the Rathdrum district between 1878 & 1881 and then a couple of 1878 births in Rathdown district Co Dublin in case she was born in one district and registered in another but again nothing so far, probably I am missing something along the way so some fresh thoughts would be appreciated.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rathdown registration district
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 November 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
The registration office where the birth should be registered is based on the townland where the birth took place. (If you registered it elsewhere, then they were supposed to pass the details to the correct office). You can see all the townlands in Wicklow that fall within Rathdown, and also those in Co Dublin, on the link below. In general the registration district area is the same as the PLU. Once you have selected the relevant county, if you click on the PLU option, it groups the townlands for that registration district area.
http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/
Elwyn

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 November 13 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that link, when I matched the information with other links it seems to confirm that there are three sub-districts of the Rathdown registration district solely in Co Wicklow and to date I have been unable to find any GRO records for Rathdown Co Wicklow they all seem to be Rathdown Co Dublin which leads me to believe that someone could be born in one of these Co Wicklow districts and still be registered in Rathdown Co Dublin, or I could still be way off the mark.

GedB

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 November 13 08:49 GMT (UK) »
When you put in Byrne as the surname and Rathdown as the place in the online civil registration district there are over 10,00 results. Clicking on the individual record shows the registration place as Rathdown, Ireland- when you look at the actual indexes the entry would just say Rathdown. Nowhere at this index stage is a county mentioned- merely the registration district.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 November 13 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I understand what you are saying but when I search the FindMyPast Ireland site and put in a general search for Byrne – birth Rathdown 1880 +/- 2 years all the 5000+ results come up as Rathdown – Dublin not a single one that I can see comes up Rathdown – Wicklow, even though three sub-districts of Rathdown are solely in Co Wicklow and even changing the family name to something entirely random the results still come up Rathdown – Dublin. If I search for the Byrne family name in Rathdrum the results come up as Rathdrum - Wicklow so it is probably an anomaly or something with the way the site is set up but it still makes me wonder if there could be a crossover

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 November 13 20:04 GMT (UK) »
The GRO would just list the registration district as I mentioned earlier (it's not uncommon to find a district that covers parts of two counties) but it sounds as though FindMyPast has their own way of recording this in their database which is misleading.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 10:27 GMT (UK) »
A quick look didn't find anything online but can I suggest you check the church where John and Ellen married for a baptism.
You have the Date of Marriage which corresponds with the ref Rathdrum Apr-Jun 1878 V2 P795 and the official certificate would state where they married. If they stayed in the same area for a while before moving to Glasthule/Kingstown then Bridget may have been baptised there also.

If that was unsuccessful if you have located Ellen's home parish I would try there next as some women had their firsst child at home with their own mother and she may have been baptised there.

Locating a baptismal record would then cut down the search for a birth cert; also bear in mind she may have been registered as "female Byrne".
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey you are spot on, it is confusing the way the records are laid out even more so to a novice researcher like myself who assumed that details paid for would be correct, I have sent an email to FindMyPast to check the layout but will not hold my breath.

Thank you myluck, I think I have checked just about all the obvious records for the Rathdrum area with no success, so I will follow your suggestion and go in the direction of the mothers origins once that is I have sorted a possible lead on two births in the Rathdown Union workhouse in 1879 & 1882 where the parents are named as John & Ellen Byrne and who could well be older and younger siblings of the Bridget I am searching for, plus the age and details of the youngest one match the details we have for the family in the 1901 census.
GedB