Author Topic: Re: Marriages of William Moss b1795  (Read 3917 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages of William Moss b1795
« on: Saturday 23 November 13 16:43 GMT (UK) »
My great great great grandfather William Moss was born in 1795 in Adderbury, Oxfordshire, England. I believe that he was married twice, once to a Sarah by which he had two children Caroline b1818 and William:b1820. My guess is, that Sarah died in childbirth in December 1820. William then went on to marry Emma Elfred, who was born in 1805 also in Adderbury. They had nine children, one of which was Martha who became my great great  grandmother. I'm trying to establish the surname of Sarah and the marriage dates of both Sarah and Emma.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 November 13 19:53 GMT (UK) »
William Moss married a Sarah Charles(of Banbury) @ Daventry NTH.  22 April 1818.

William Moss married Mary Elfred @ St.Mary Mag. Oxford. 27 Nov 1826.

I may be worthwhile to check the PR's for St.Mary Mag. Oxford, to see if he was a widow. ;)

Steve. :)

Taken from OxFHS - Marriage Index - 1538-1837.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 November 13 21:09 GMT (UK) »
William Moss married a Sarah Charles(of Banbury) @ Daventry NTH.  22 April 1818.

William Moss married Mary Elfred @ St.Mary Mag. Oxford. 27 Nov 1826.

I may be worthwhile to check the PR's for St.Mary Mag. Oxford, to see if he was a widow. ;)

Taken from OxFHS - Marriage Index - 1538-1837.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the information and advice. I am just a little puzzled by the second wife being Mary, when according to the details I have, she is called Emma.

Offline Sleat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 November 13 21:27 GMT (UK) »
From the OFHS St Mary Mag PR

MOSS Wm otp   
ELFRED Emma (x) otp        banns

Wit Thomas IVATTS Sarah ELFRED

It doesn't say he is a widow

Hope that helps

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 November 13 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Oops. Sorry. :-[

Yes, it was Emma, Not Mary. ;D

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 November 13 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sleat/Buckboy,

These replies were good news bad news! The 1841 Census shows:-

Moss    William    45      Shoe Maker    Yes    HO107/0875/F?    CD1 HO_875.pdf p.44        
    Moss    Emma    35          Yes    HO107/0875/F?    CD1 HO_875.pdf p.44        
    Moss    William    20          Yes    HO107/0875/F?    CD1 HO_875.pdf p.44        
    Moss    James    10          Yes    HO107/0875/F?    CD1 HO_875.pdf p.44        
    Moss    John    9          Yes    HO107/0875/F?    CD1 HO_875.pdf p.44        
    Moss    Samuel    8          Yes    HO107/0875/F?    CD1 HO_875.pdf p.44        
    Moss    Sarah    10          Yes    HO107/0875/F?    CD1 HO_875.pdf p.44        
    Moss    Martha    3          Yes    HO107/0875/F?    CD1 HO_875.pdf p.44          
    Moss    Joseph    1          Yes    HO107/0875/F?    CD1 HO_875.pdf p.44          
    Moss    Samuel    85      Agricultural Labourer    Yes    HO107/0875/F?    CD1 HO_875.pdf

p.44      

So William needs to have been married to someone prior to Emma, as you can see there is a son, William aged 20 and then a gap until James aged 10. I want to believe Buckboys data but Sleat has thrown me by saying there is no mention of William being married before.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 November 13 07:01 GMT (UK) »
The IGI has these baptisms

Caroline Moss   
christening:    9 September 1818    ADDERBURY,OXFORD,ENGLAND
father:    William Moss
mother:    Sarah

William Moss
christening:    12 January 1821    ADDERBURY,OXFORD,ENGLAND   
father:    William Moss
mother:    Sarah

so the 1818 marriage looks a good bet. Just because the 2nd marriage entry doesn't say that he was a widow doesn't mean that he wasn't as vicars sometimes didn't write it down. Does the marriage entry say that he was a bachelor? If it does then you've got a problem.

Offline Sleat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 November 13 07:19 GMT (UK) »
The above is everything the entry says, it doesn't say bach or wid.

So it could be either

Sleat

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 November 13 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone,
I am pretty convinced that William was married twice and that we have the correct info. The fact that his son William appears on the census records and was born 5 years before the marriage and Emma, would have been 14 at the time of conception, for it to be hers, persuades me, that William Moss was married before.

Thanks for your involvement.