Author Topic: cox family lenard & alice with children  (Read 6274 times)

Offline doreensutton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
cox family lenard & alice with children
« on: Sunday 24 November 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
looking for family details on cox family who left Jersey just before the German Invasion. 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: cox family lenard & alice with children
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 November 13 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Unfortunately - your post gives us no info re: christian names, birthyears etc etc.

However - if any of this family could still be alive - their personal details cannot be posted here

Where did they go when they left Jersey?  Did they return after WW2 ended?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline doreensutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 November 13 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Leonard & Alice Cox ( maybe spelt wrong may have more names) were my grandparents who ran a boarding house in St helier, (my grandfather was a treasurer for a local club I think in Jersey if not in Rochdale (somewhere I have his membership card buried in paperwork) left because of the German invasion and then lived in Rochdale and both died there.  My father Graeme Cox was one of their children born 20.11.1922 the rest were Brian. Roland, Audrey, Beryl, Shiela, as far as i can remember and all were born in Jersey.  My father died in 2001. Alice died in Rochdale and looking for details I have found an Alice who died in 1941 aged 69.  My father talked about his mother dying whilst he was in the army and not being allowed to go to her funeral so this maybe my grandmother.  My grandfather died when I was young. I remember my parents saying he never saw my brother because he died before he was born in 1963-64. I have found a record of a Leonard E W Cox who died in Rochdale in June 1964 aged 82 and this could be him and therefore my brother was given his name - Alan Leonard Cox.

I am sorry I do not have much information.  I am curious to know from where my grandparents originated

As to returning after the war no one from this family returned to live there.  I remember going to Jersey around 1974 (I was born in 1960) with my family to close my dad's bank account and to visit people who still lived in Jersey and knew him and his family but I do not know these people myself.

With my father I met a man who wrote a book about the people who left the Islands and the Cox family were written about but I do not remember his name.

I hope I have given you more info to go on.

Thank you

Doreen Sutton

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 November 13 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If the death in 1964 is your Leonard - then this must be his birth registration

Births December qtr 1881   
Leonard Enoch W Cox    Dursley 6a 229

Unfortunately there is no marriage showing those full christian names to enable me to determine Alice's maiden name

Do you know what year their first child was born

Do you have a copy of your fathers Jersey birth cert which will show her maiden name
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 November 13 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I don't think the death in 1941 is your Alice - that would have made her 10yrs older than Leonard and she would have been 50 in 1922 when your father was born

The free 1911 index has an entry in Rochdale for an Alice Ann Cox b 1873 who appears to be married so I think that is her death

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 November 13 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Did Beryl die in Rochdale in 1989

Offline doreensutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 November 13 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Beryl did die in Rochdale but the year I am not certain. In 1989 I would have been 29 years old and think that this may not be her as my memory of her death is very vague so I must have been very young. I am at the moment contacting my brother to see what data he has to give.  Beryl was married to a Jack who died before her  and had Gail and another girl who is the eldest whose name I can not recall at the moment nor their surname.
My dad was not the first born if I remember correctly it was Brian who died a few years ago so did Roland who died the same year as my dad 2001 if i remember Septembe /October the funeral was in Hastings.  I live in Italy since 2002 so my contact with my family is via e-mail.

When my mother died in 2012 I found a very old book that listed family members on my mother's side this goes back to very old times . I asked my sister not to destroy it as the details were very detailed and as my mother was born in Rochdale and she herself tried to find details of her past (by obtaining certificates to establish her history which were together with this book) due to her past not being clear i.e. she never knew her father but she was legitimate, I hope in the future to sort this out, but a future plan.

What is your interest in generology and Jersey in particular?  I started doing this research because eventually last month we acquired wi-fi and it has opened the door to a wider world so I thought it could not be hard to find my father's details on such a small island but in fact it was not easy.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 November 13 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Rootschat does not allow the names of living persons to be mentioned here so I will send you a pm with some additional info

Beryl G Cox married John S Yarker in 1949 in Rochdale

Beryl Garforth Yarker born 14.10.1927 died 1989 Rochdale

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 November 13 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Was he definitely Roland - not Ronald?  There is a Ronald Arthur Cox death in September 2001 Hastings.  He was b 5.10.1924