Author Topic: Edward Bullwinkel - Wrexham Cemetery  (Read 1088 times)

Offline mathsmal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Bullwinkel - Wrexham Cemetery
« on: Monday 25 November 13 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am trying to find out if the grave of Edward Bullwinkel in Wrexham Cemetery is a military grave.
He died on the 16 January 1948, and the grave number is 10186.
If anyone can help I would be grateful.

Many thanks
Matt

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Bullwinkel - Wrexham Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 November 13 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Well Matt,the actual number for the grave is 10186A.I'm told by the caretaker at Wrexham Cemetery that though they were aware he was a POW,it is just a general grave.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mathsmal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 November 13 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks - that is very interesting. I wonder why it was treated in that way?

He was on a list that I had, indicating that he was a German POW, but his name does not appear on an official German records - thanks for clarifying. 

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 November 13 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Deleted.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 November 13 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Bullwinkel (and its many variants) occurs often amongst the names of London's 19C sugar refiners and sugarbakers ... they came mosty from Lower Saxony in northern Germany.
Most worked in the sugarhouses in Whitechapel and St George's in the East as labourers, whilst one or two became partners in a firm or ran their own small scum boiling business.
Carsten Bulwinkle worked in London and then emigrated to Australia and eventually became a manager at CRS. John Bollwinckel/le was recruited from a Liverpool sugarhouse to the small party that travelled to Utah to set up the ill-fated first sugar refinery there.

My database at www.mawer.clara.net/sugarbbry.html lists those found to date, with many origins, ages and addresses, all with references/sources for further research.

The thought struck me that whilst Edward Bullwinkel was held as a POW, there were possibly descendants of those sugarbakers held in internment camps.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017