Author Topic: Anybody live near Hurstpierpoint  (Read 4267 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Anybody live near Hurstpierpoint
« on: Monday 25 November 13 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone lives near Hurstpierpoint?   If you do, would you be able to check on a memorial in the church there.  A memorial for Elizabeth Thorpe, wife of John Thorpe and she died 1624.  I'm after a photo if at all possible?

Thanks for any help anyone can give. :D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody live near Hurstpierpoint
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
It may have to wait until term finishes but I can go then if nobody has done it for you before.  Remind me!

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

I am heading down to see my dad in Hassocks this weekend so will attempt to find this memorial. Last time I went down, the church was undergoing some renovation so hopefully it will all be accessible.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both!  Much appreciated.  This is one - as well as being part of my family tree is part of my dissertation which is keeping me very well occupied.  ;D

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 15:51 GMT (UK) »
The monument actually says: to the memory of Elizabeth, wife of John Thorp, of Cudworth in Newdigate Esq who died aet. suae 29 (which I think I have worked out was that she was 29 when she died or at least that fits) AD 1624.  On her monument there should be some Arms one in particular with Argent, three stags heads caboshed sable which should link her to her husband's grandmother ando this appears to be the only evidence that this girl was her grandmother - no marriage found to date!

The book that I am reading this from mentions the monument being in the chancel but it was written some 100 years ago so....

Hope that helps you to find it  :)

Kerry

PS you will get a mention in my dissertation - there's bribery for you!!!!

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 18:32 GMT (UK) »
What course are you doing Kerry?
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 19:56 GMT (UK) »
The University of Strathclyde Masters in Genealogy, Palaeographic and Heraldic studies.  My third and final year - the dissertation year and mine is all about Sussex Ironmasters 1500 to 1750.

Kerry

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 November 13 05:56 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Hi Kerry,

Just seen this so a bit late to offer (I'm from Burgess Hill) but am interested in your dissertation subject.  Have you come across the Isted family - iron masters in East Sussex and Surrey, employing people from France during your time frame - possibly earlier...

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 November 13 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

Not really although I think I have seen the name Isted mentioned somewhere.  Its not one of my six families I am case studying.  If I come across anything in the course of my much reading I will let you know, do you have any particular names?

Also have you seen the Wealden Iron Research Database website http://www.wirgdata.org/ If you check the Search people facility there may be some on there.  It is a really useful website!

Kerry  :)