Author Topic: Anybody live near Hurstpierpoint  (Read 4269 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody live near Hurstpierpoint
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 November 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Which families are you doing?    There were lots around Cuckfield and the museum has some info about them.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 November 13 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Thorps, Collins, Barham, Pelham, Akehurst and Infield.  Not sure any of them are from the Cuckfield area but I've only just started the genealogy.  Has Cuckfield got any iron working exhibits?  I know quite a few Sussex museums have and could be worth a visit.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 November 13 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Another well known family of ironmasters in Sussex were the Fullers of Heathfield. This is probably the most well known; http://johnmadjackfuller.homestead.com/ . There is a link at the top to his genealogy and other subjects.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 November 13 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Cuckfield Museum has only a small case on iron working but does have several books, including the Sussex Archaeological series which have numerous references to iron masters   Some of them are online but the early ones aren't as far as I know.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 November 13 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I deliberately didn't pick the Fuller family as there is so much written about them and I wanted to do some families where there is information but not quite so well known and already done.  I have a Fuller in my tree and despite my grandmother swearing blind she was descended from Mad Jack, she's not and I have not found a link between our Fuller and him as yet.

Andrea - this site http://leweshistory.org.uk/research-resources/lewes-history-group-bibliography/sussex-archaeological-collections-digitised-volumes/ has some of the earlier editions online but they are online through Google so you can't save any pages.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 November 13 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Kerry,

I too have Fullers in my tree, my middle name is Fuller. We too were brought up in the knowledge that we were descended from "Mad Jack" Not true it appears unless the story that he had an illegitimate child with his house keeper is true.

I would be interested to know a bit about your line of Fullers. See if we have some in common.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 November 13 14:20 GMT (UK) »
A couple of old ladies doing the flower arranging helped me out by searching for the memorial. It was surrounded by memorials to the Borer family so don't know if there is a link there.

http://sdrv.ms/182FAxt
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 November 13 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Wow! thank you Swebby, that is some memorial.

Who needs parish registers when you can have memorials that not only confirm your father but your children as well! 

And it definitely has the Bowett coat of arms too. 

Kerry  :)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 November 13 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

My Fuller was John Fuller born 1813 in Brightling to Rose Fuller and Priscilla Blackman.  He married Ellen Augusta Harmer, whose illegitimate son James Frederick Samuel Harmer was my 2 x great grandfather.  I haven't done that much research into the Fullers but have seen some trees which don't seem to link with Mad Jack. 

Kerry