Author Topic: distance from weimar california to butte montana  (Read 839 times)

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
distance from weimar california to butte montana
« on: Tuesday 26 November 13 19:08 GMT (UK) »
if someone resided in butte montana and they contacted tuberculosis would they have travelled to weimar town, placer county, california to be a patient there in a sanatorium.? I am searching for owen grant from foffenagh donegal ireland (born around 1894) who emigrated in 1914, travelling to butte montana. i have discovered him on draft enlistment in 1917, still in butte. i am puzzled by an owen grant who was patient in sanatorium in weimar town california in 1930 age 34, and who also emigrated in 1914.. he eventually died there in july 1930. I wonder is it possible for a T.B. patient to be taken from montana to placer county for treatment. Is it a large distance to travel? i am not familiar with united states.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: distance from weimar california to butte montana
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 19:10 GMT (UK) »
According to www.mapquest.com, the two places are about 900 miles apart.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 19:17 GMT (UK) »
The date of birth on the WWI draft registration card for Owen in Butte has a completely different birth date than the Owen who died in California.  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=GRAN&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GSst=6&GScntry=4&GSsr=3441&GRid=103714718&  The year is off by 4 years, and neither the month or day of birth match.

I think these are two totally different guys.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Why do you think he would have been "taken" to the sanatorium in California?  He could very well have gone there on his own initiative, perhaps because it was recommended to him or he had friends there.  People did travel long distances for the treatment of tuberculosis because it was believed that a healthful climate was beneficial.  Sanatoriums were located in places believed to have a healthful environment -  basically that meant a sunny, dry, montane location.  Placer County, California was such a location.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis