Author Topic: Help required CAREY/MATTHEWS Christchurch  (Read 2726 times)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help required CAREY/MATTHEWS Christchurch
« on: Saturday 18 June 05 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

My Carey and Matthews ancestors emigrated to New Zealand from London. I have information about them in England prior to this from certs and censuses and info from the Australian connection, but would like to find more about their lives in New Zealand. This is what I have to date:-

Thomas Carey age c47, shoemaker and Emily wife age c45 arrived Lyttleton aboard the ship the Lancashire Witch in 1863 with children Emily age 16, Sarah Jane 14, Charles 11, Mary Ann 8 and George Thomas 3. (from Passenger list for Lancashire Witch)

They owned a shoeshop in Hanmer Street, Avonside, Christchurch. (unconfirmed)

Emily Snr died 13 February 1888 at 189 Gloucester Street West, Christchurch and was buried at the New Cemetery (Public) - from death cert

Thomas died 23 September 1898 at Hanmer Street, Christchurch and was buried at Linwood - from death cert
I also have unconfirmed info that they were buried at St. Luke's the Evangelist Church in Ea Lingard.

Sarah Jane left NZ and married William Matthews (who also originated from London and lived in NZ ) in Sydney Australia in 1867, settled in Bowral NSW, and had 8 children.
Charles married Mary Jane Moore in 1882 and also settled in Bowral and raised a family.
I have no information at all for Emily jnr or Mary Ann,
George Carey owned a shoeshop in Church Street Kaiapoi in 1901. He was a member of the Christchurch Engineers and attached to the Trafalgar Lodge of Druids in Kaiapoi. He married in 1884 to the daughter of the late Mr. W Martin of Christchurch and they had 3 daughters. (all this is unconfirmed)

I don't know when William Matthews went to NZ - I have his occupation in 1858 as a Ships Steward - he isn't with his family in England on 1861 census. In 1867 his occupation is Trader on his marriage certificate in Sydney. I don't have any information about him at all in NZ. It is stated on his death cert from Australia that he spent 10 years in NZ prior to his marriage in 1867,but I don't know how accurate this info is.

I would like to know when Sarah Jane and William Matthews went to Australia  (also Charles) and the name of the ship.
How would I go about finding information about Emily jnr or Mary Ann or confirming info about George, Emily and Thomas?

Actually anything at all about any of this family would be wonderful  -  I haven't been to New Zealand  - yet.

I hope this isn't too much information for one post.

margaret   :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help required CAREY/MATTHEWS Christchurch
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 June 05 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

I don't think we can help with departures from New Zealand because the passenger manifests are likely to held in Australia, so I suggest you contact National Archives Australia to see if they can assist you. Provide as much detail as possible. 

Because the CAREY family and William MATTHEWS arrived and lived in Christchurch I suggest that you contact Christchurch Museum
http://www.cantmus.govt.nz/museum_highlights.asp?subcat=102
and request a search for these individuals. They have a very thorough research service. They might also have information about the Druids, George's shoeshop, and the late Mr MARTIN, vis;

"George Carey owned a shoeshop in Church Street Kaiapoi in 1901. He was a member of the Christchurch Engineers and attached to the Trafalgar Lodge of Druids in Kaiapoi. He married in 1884 to the daughter of the late Mr. W Martin of Christchurch and they had 3 daughters."

I found George Thomas CAREY married Frances Elizabeth MARTIN in 1884, but no doubt you already have this.

Interestingly, I did find the 1888 marriage of a Mary Ann CAREY which I matched to a William Henry MARTIN: did George Carey's wife have a brother, I wonder?

Regarduing William MATTHEWS, there are 3 entries in the microfiche series 'Victoria (AUS) to NZ'. These are passengers that arrived in NZ ports via the port of Melbourne on immigrant ships.

MATTHEWS William
single
Miner
Ship: COMMERCE
Departed Melbourne 21 Sept 1861
Arr: Dunedin

MATTHEWS Wm
single
Occ: -
Ship: CITY OF HOBART
Departed Melbourne 11 Sept 1861
Arr: Otago

MATTHEWS Wm
single
Occ: -
Ship: RED JACKET
Departed Melbourne 31 Jan 1863
Arr: Port Chalmers

riley

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 05 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Riley,

Firstly, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou so much for the information about my ancestors. I really appreciate the time you spent on this.

It's exactly what I needed 8)  I shall contact the National Archives and Christchurch Museum and get the ball rolling. This is so exciting!

I found George Thomas CAREY married Frances Elizabeth MARTIN in 1884, but no doubt you already have this.

Interestingly, I did find the 1888 marriage of a Mary Ann CAREY which I matched to a William Henry MARTIN: did George Carey's wife have a brother, I wonder?
Riley, no, I didn't have this - Oh this is great,  thankyou again.

I'll hang onto the entries in the microfiche series 'Victoria (AUS) to NZ'  - one of them may be William.

I'll let you know the outcome,

From a very happy,

margaret :D

All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

I was in town at the Christchurch Public Library so had a quick look for your Carey's. 

The Lancshire Witch arrived on the 13th October 1863 with 340 passengers.

Young Emily Carey married Edward Samuels on 10th July 1865, she was aged 19yrs and a domestic servant. Edward was 23yrs and a painter.  The witnesses were Henry Samuels and Sarah Jane Carey, spinster. They were married at St Andrews Church.

Thomas and Emily Maylon Carey are both buried in the same grave in Linwood Cemetery. (Block 3 plot 18) Linwood is an old cemetery now and has fallen into disrepair, however the council is slowly taking it in hand and tidying things up.  Their garvestone/tombstone inscription is as follows:

"Emily Maylon Carey
died 13 February 1888 age 71yrs
and her husband
Thomas died 23 September 1898 age 85"

The council records in the library data base show Emily was buried 15th February 1888 her address was Gloucester Street, place of birth London, and years in NZ 25.  For Thomas they show the date of burial as Sunday 25th September 1898, address as Gloucester Street, occupation Bootmaker, place of birth England, years in NZ 35.

I had a quick search for Mary Ann Carey but was unable to find anything definate.  There were two Mary Carey's, one married a Frederick Robert Rose the other a Edward Connor but I couldn't make any connection to your family. Sorry.

I think the reference you have of Ea Lingard, should probably read E.A.Lingard I think he was the officiating minister at thr funeral.

I ran out of time, but will keep you in mind next time I go to see about the bootmaker shop.  My grandparents built a house in Hanmer Street Avonside, it is now an old part of town, in the early 1900's but I don't know if they tore something down in order to do so or if it was an empy section.It is as the name suggests near the river Avon, lots of big willows around now.

If you google Christchurch City Libraries you will find on the home page I think it is, 'our history", they have a piece on the old cemteries which is interesting.

Also, you may think it worthwhile to contact the Kaiapoi District Historial Society, (Museum), it is run by volunteers, but has extensive records of the old town, rate books, "Kaiapoi Record" newspapers, family histories. etc etc and heaps of old photos.  You would have to write to P.O.Box 341, Kaiapoi, Canterbury 8252. NZ. If you give them your email address they will probably be able to email you with a reply. I imagine a small donation wouldn't go astray either *grin*

I'm sorry I forgot to look for George Carey, maybe on another trip if you haven't made any progress elswhere.

Best regards,
kiwi.

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I meant to add that I found Edward Samuels on the 1872/73/74 Electoral Roll as;

Samuels - Edward,  Freehold part Rural Section 235 Waltham.

This came under the Heathcote District.

All in the days before women could vote of course!

Regards,
kiwi

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 June 05 06:15 BST (UK) »
Oh Kiwi,

What can I say - You wonderful person - thankyou so much for looking for my Carey family at the Christchurch Library, I'm so appreciative of your generosity.

I'm really impressed with the amount of information you have found out about the family!

So much to take in............ it will have to wait though, we are experiencing floods here where I live in (Far Northern NSW), so lots to do first.

I will post a reply when I can.

Thankyou again Kiwi,

margaret  :D

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 07:21 BST (UK) »

Because the CAREY family and William MATTHEWS arrived and lived in Christchurch I suggest that you contact Christchurch Museum
http://www.cantmus.govt.nz/museum_highlights.asp?subcat=102
and request a search for these individuals. They have a very thorough research service. They might also have information about the Druids, George's shoeshop, and the late Mr MARTIN, vis;

Hi Riley,

Just an update - I requested a search from Canterbury Museum and the information I received not only confirmed what I already knew and was kindly given, but there were also a few new snippets of information.

Unfortunately they were unable to find anything about William Matthews - maybe he wasn't living in the Canterbury area at all.

Thankyou again for the link,

margaret :)

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi,

I had a look at the Christchurch City Library site (the old cemetries page) - yes, it's wonderful to see where they are buried. The other information there  is really interesting as well.

I have entered the information, you so kindly found about my Carey Family into my data base, and have shared all the information with another member of this forum who is also a descendent of the Careys.

I would like to thankyou once again for your generosity ,

margaret  :)

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 08:11 BST (UK) »
Gidday,

My pleasure. Very pleased to hear you've found the family.

Cheers, riley
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL