Author Topic: info needed on Mollance & Queenshill  (Read 23438 times)

Offline Jinny1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: info needed on Mollance & Queenshill
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 November 10 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Many thanks for the reply, Sue. I shall do some more investigating on Ancestry.com!
I've been lucky enough to find out quite a bit about the Johnstone family, although (typically) my direct ancestor is Helen Johnstone, a fourth daughter, (born sometime between 1828 - 1834 as far as I can work out) who appears in censuses etc, but doesn't appear to have a birth or death record!  ::)
I did take a walk past Leggatecheek, (having been very pleased to find it on a current map, and having family in the area) but I know nothing about the history of it!
Thanks again.

Helen
Carlyle, Gardner, Horn, Johnstone, Livingstone: Dumfries/Kirkcudbright/Edinburgh/Fife/Glasgow/
Belfast

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline wkms77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 November 10 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Some images that might interest you that I've posted on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47102235@N08/sets/72157625373613712/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47102235@N08/sets/72157625373524134/

Any information on the following houses in Kirkcudbright would be great.

Mollance house in Castle Douglas  ( burnt down in 1920s ? )

Queenshill mansion by Ringford

Barcaple house  in Barcaple ?     (part of Barcaple farm ? )

Kipp house in Colvend       

I have done the google sweep, looking for local knowledge if possible.

Thanks         :)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline fergus.neilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MERRICK NEILSON / HOT BLAST NEILSONS
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Just inadvertently trashed an eMail from an unknown source stating "Wish to chat with you about Merrick Neilson". If the trashee wishes to make contact again - you have my eMail address! For anyone else interested in the Ironmaster Neilsons (descent from James Beaumont "Hot Blast" Neilson) there is a full chapter on the family in my book "The Corsock Neilsons" which is available through www.blurb.com. Regards, Fergus Neilson.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 December 13 15:10 GMT (UK) »
The Neilson's must have had a connection to Springburn in Glasgow which was famous for it's locomotive works.
Streets named Barcaple Street, Queenshill Street etc'.

Skoosh.

Offline clarry123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 31 July 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm related to John Lindsay Scott who I was under the impression lived in Mollance House and also farmed Dryburgh farm up to his death in 1888. He was a woollen manufacturer, who set up Kingholm Mill in 1857 in Dumfries; Son of Robert Scott the tweed manufacturer. I recently visited the Scottish Registry in Edinburgh and saw his will/probate records that clearly had wages owing to the Dryburgh Farm manager, labourer etc and butler, footman, maid etc at Mollance. I think he was faming sheep on the land for his business. How do the Neilsons fit in. Was my great great grandfather renting? I wish I'd printed out the whole will but only printed parts as it was over 11 pages long.

Offline lynnebro

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 29 May 16 09:37 BST (UK) »
Wow, fantastic information!  I am related to you as Helen is also my direct ancestor and is my 3rd G Grandmother.  She lived in Edinburgh for a while. I have a lovely photo of a cottage her husband was a coachman for.  I would love to get in touch. My 2x great grandfather was born at Leggatecheek in 1855, John Johnstone ( Hellen's frst born))

Lynne
Hi all,
Sorry to add to an already-long thread!

Some of my ancestors were servants at Queenshill during the nineteenth century: Mary Johnstone, (1828-1883) who was a house servant (apparently) from the 1830s until her death, and Mary's sister Agnes McGeorge (originally Agnes Campbell Johnstone, later Agnes Hay) (1834-1912) who is shown at Queenshill in the 1861 Census.
The Johnstone family lived at Leggatecheek, (from at least the 1830s - 1880s) a house in Ringford. I don't know if this house was part of the Queenshill Estate or not; their father, Thomas Johnstone, (d 1856) was a cooper and dyer by trade.
Mary and Agnes's sister Jane (Jean) married the farmer at Greenhill - another nearby farm.
I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of where I might find out more about this family (I did wonder if there would be papers from Queenshill, but as the house burnt down, I suspect not?) Or would be happy to share any information about 'my' Johnstone family if it would be of use to anyone!

Many thanks

Helen

Offline lismore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 May 16 18:15 BST (UK) »
Discovered today, maybe can be added to a family tree.

Glasgow Herald - 31st Jan 1911

Neilson
Suddenly at Mollance, Castle Douglas, on the 29th inst; Janet Barbara Chalmers, aged 1 year and 6 months, only child of Mr and Mrs William C Neilson

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 10 June 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lismore,

Yeah, she is on the chart, daughter of William Chalmers Neilson.

:)

Offline SamMary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 12 June 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi RemLap. My GGGrandad was john Neilson brother of James. I would love any info on him or his brother. I haven't managed to find a photo or portrait. A photo of Oakbank iron foundry would be great. My line is via his second wife Elizabeth Twaddel whose daughter Margaret was my GGandma
many thanks Paul