Author Topic: Decipher Cause of death plz  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher Cause of death plz
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 November 13 20:06 GMT (UK) »
What about INCARNATION.  Incarnate means in human form. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?rd=1&word=incarnate
Maybe they were trying to say the baby was fully formed at birth.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 November 13 20:08 GMT (UK) »
 I don`t disagree that it says INANITION, but as that means death from exhaustion from want of food it does not seem likely for a premature baby.
 I wondered if the person who wrote the certificate ought to have put INANIMATE, meaning  lifeless.
 Which seems more likely.VIKTORIA>

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 November 13 20:11 GMT (UK) »
in the early 1900s, many infant deaths are also listed as "inanition," in particular when the infants at hand are weeks or days old. I had no idea what inanition was, and that it was probably some outdated childhood disease. I have found through my research that it is a death due to severe and prolonged insufficiency of food--in short, these are often day old babies dying of malnutrition. I find this to be incredibly interesting, because it implies that the mother was likely malnourished herself.
http://coronercasefile.pbworks.com/w/page/16512014/Fetal%20and%20Infant%20deaths
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 November 13 20:21 GMT (UK) »
This seems to be a possible mix-up between two words.INANITION:-Exhaustion from want of food.
 This seems very unlikely in a premature baby.
 The other word is INANIMATE:-Without animation ie lifeless. More probable.
 Unless it was the mother who was lacking food but when you consider that even babies born to literally starving mothers in concentration camps, again it seems unlikely.

It is very sad whatever the cause of death. Viktoria.

Premature babies lack a sucking reflex so it's not impossible that the baby was too weak to feed
Surely lifeless would have been classified as stillborn not died at 1 day old (not died same day as birth as they tend to be listed in hours (or even minutes)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 November 13 20:26 GMT (UK) »
  I wondered if the person who wrote the certificate ought to have put INANIMATE, meaning  lifeless.
 Which seems more likely.VIKTORIA>

But the word in question is in a column for cause of death. Being inanimate is not a cause of death - it means that one is dead.

The use of the word was discussed quite extensively on the link I gave in reply #8, in particular in reply #4 on that link.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 November 13 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I believe inanition would be correct - in this case due to the health of the mother - the one day old baby being malnourised in the womb due to the mother's lack of nourisment.

Offline zhunter71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 November 13 05:22 GMT (UK) »
I have to agree with Inanition as you can see the dotted 'i' before tion. Also i agree that if it was inanimate it would have been listed as 0 days old, not 1 day.

Its a shame they dont list on the cert how much premature the baby was :(
Derbyshire

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 November 13 18:33 GMT (UK) »
 Well, having worked on the prem baby unit at the then Crumpsall Hospial, although this was in the late 50`s and mothers were not generally malnourished the babies were not fed immediately as it was necessary to find out if the baby`s digestive tract was clear and that a feed ( by tube as I agree they have little or no sucking reflex) would not back up and get into their lungs if the bowel was blocked . So once the  the meconium  had been passed a very small feed was given. This could be more than a day after birth.Granted these babies were on oxygen in heated incubators( made from aquariums(aquaria?) constructed by the wonderful Dr. Patterson from Booth Hall Hospital-
 haven`t things improved!)
. I forgot the 1 day  age. So as you say it must have been the mother`s malnourishment that was the cause.How shocking is that .As I mentioned some  live babies who survived were born in concentration camps but we have no statistics to compare  with those who did not and would also have died from Inanition.
 It is all very sad. Thankyou. Viktoria