Author Topic: Putney Vale Cemetery, Wandsworth, Surrey  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Putney Vale Cemetery, Wandsworth, Surrey
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 November 13 00:55 GMT (UK) »
I have found a listing in Family Search for an Emma Chambers who was buried November 14, 1925 in Putney Vale.  I am wondering if there might be any other information in the burial record at the cemetery that might help us in determining if this is our Emma.

The death index has only one Emma CHAMBERS dying in the last quarter of 1925. She died in Hammersmith registration district and was aged 63 (born 1862).

There is an Emma CHAMBERS in the 1925 electoral roll living in Hammersmith with a Dr Herbert W. CHAMBERS, at 101 Goldhawk Road. Looking at this household in the census, this Emma CHAMBERS was born about 1863. She is about the right age to be the one who died in Hammersmith in 1925. What's more, she is no longer found with Herbert CHAMBERS in the 1926 electoral roll.

So as there is only one death in that quarter, I think this burial at Putney Vale is probably not your Emma. Sorry.

Offline Uplander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 November 13 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Emma hung onto the girls until November 1905.  At that point the C of E stepped in and took the girls into care as they felt Emma wasn't coping well.  They spent a year at the Peckham Home in England.  Emma was then persuaded to allow the girls to be sent to Canada as Home Children.  Keep in mind at the time there were few services for widows, especially those with young children.  When George was killed Emma had no income.  Emma had children by her earlier marriage but it appears that none were in a position to (or willing to) take the girls in.

Rose and Nellie aren't in the photo as they were already in Canada.  The photo is of Emma with some of her children and grandchildren.  In our search to find out what happened to Emma I traced her children and marrriages and their children.  We dated the photo from the children in it.  Last year we also found a living person that was able to confirm the identity of one of the children.  Unfortunately this person doesn't seem to be interested in family history.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 November 13 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Just for records purposes - you can rule out this death as she is on the 1901 with husband George Chambers

Emma Chambers aged 55 September qtr 1908 Wandsworth    1d 344
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Uplander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 November 13 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bookbox and Dawnsh

That pops that ballon!  Emma was born in 1852 mind you information on death certificates is only as good as the knowledge of the person providing it. 

Offline Uplander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 November 13 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

I have that certificate and you are right, she isn't ours.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 November 13 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Emma was born in 1852 mind you information on death certificates is only as good as the knowledge of the person providing it.

Entries in the probate calendar confirm that the Emma CHAMBERS who died in November 1925 is the one from Goldhawk Road.

Offline Uplander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 November 13 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Entries in the probate calendar confirm that the Emma CHAMBERS who died in November 1925 is the one from Goldhawk Road.

Thank you for the information!  Much appreciated!  I knew it was a long shot but still worth checking.  I'll review our information again to see what other possibilities there are.  Emma has to be out there some where.