Author Topic: Thomas Hamilton/Marion Inglis from Hamilton  (Read 14495 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Hamilton/Marion Inglis from Hamilton
« on: Saturday 30 November 13 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

I'm having a little trouble finding out what happened to the above mentioned couple and their family.  In 1841 they are at Cadzow St Hamilton:

Thos aged 31, a porter (all born Lanarkshire)
Merrion aged 30
Janet aged 9
Ann aged 5
Thos Jnr aged 3
Merrion Jnr aged 3 mths

Jump a decade to 1851 and I found Thos Jnr & Ann living with their uncle, Robt Inglis in Shotts.  Ann is 15 and a house servant born Hamilton and Thos is a scholar aged 13, born Hamilton.

In 1861 I think I found Thos Jnr, a Labourer (Lodger) aged 24 and born Hamilton at Charlotte Lane, St Andrew, Glasgow in the reg. district of Calton living with the family of Charles and Mary Hamilton...so most likely a relative.

My question is what happened to Thos & Marion Hamilton (Snr)...is it possible there would be burial records for them in Hamilton as far back as 1841 - 1851?  I have Marion born 01 Feb 1807 Omoa Newtown to James Inglis & Janet Nisbet. I don't know anything of Thos Hamilton's background but it's the Inglis family I have been researching.

...and can anyone follow Thos Jnr beyond 1861 and also Ann who was aged 15 in 1851 or even Janet aged 9 in 1841 and Marion Jnr aged 3 mths who weren't with Thos and Ann Jnr in 1851?

Any and all help gratefully received...with thanks, Sage.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hamilton/Marion Inglis from Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 December 13 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Could Merrion be Margaret?

1851 for 8 Haddow St Hamilton - Hamilton children shown as stepchildren.  Everybody b Hamilton except Margaret

David Cumming   47
Margaret    42 b Hull Yorkshire
Janet Hamilton   16
Marion Hamilton   11
William Hamilton   7
Hamilton ED 5A Page 5 Line 10

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 December 13 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole...but no, I'm definitely dealing with a Marion and I suspect that 'Merrion' comes about because of the way it was said to the enumerator way back in 1841!
She was definitely Marion Inglis born 1807 in Omoa and she married Thomas Hamilton 15 May 1831 which fits with the eldest child, Janet being 9 in 1841.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 December 13 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi sage,

There is a Janet Hamilton aged 19 on the 1851 Census at St Cuthbert's Midlothian.
This Janet has the occupation of House Servant and place of birth is given as Hamilton, Lanarkshire.

She is working for a large family called Bell at 7 Torphichen Street. Head of the house is Alexander Bell age 57 an Iron Monger and his wife is Mary Bell age 42.
Obviously Janet Hamilton is a fairly common name but  :-\ but this Janet looked a good candidate for Thomas and Marion's oldest.

Looby  :)
P.S. Loving the Santa Faces!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 December 13 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  :)

I like this entry for 1851 (as transcribed, can't see it on freecen to be able compare):

Thomas Hamilton 41, thatcher
Mary Hamilton 42 b. Shotts, Lanarkshire
Thomas Hamilton 77, Formerly Thatcher
Janet Hamilton 19
Thomas Hamilton 12
Elisabeth Hamilton 18
Marrion Hamilton 10
Mary Hamilton 6
Robert Hamilton 1
Helen Duncan 19 niece

Address: 4 Cadzow St, Hamilton

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 December 13 15:24 GMT (UK) »
1861 for this family I think:

Thomas Hamilton 50 thatcher
Marion Hamilton 51 b. Shotts, Lanarkshire
Robert Hamilton 11

Address: 17 Low Patrick St, Hamilton

Struggle after this....Cannot see a death for a Mar* Ing*/Hamilton in her age group (or with unrecorded age for a death in the 1860s) on SP  :-\

What occupation do you have for Thomas Snr from any registration? Who are you following down...questions, questions... :P

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 December 13 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  :)

I like this entry for 1851 (as transcribed, can't see it on freecen to be able compare):

Thomas Hamilton 41, thatcher
Mary Hamilton 42 b. Shotts, Lanarkshire
Thomas Hamilton 77, Formerly Thatcher
Janet Hamilton 19
Thomas Hamilton 12
Elisabeth Hamilton 18
Marrion Hamilton 10
Mary Hamilton 6
Robert Hamilton 1
Helen Duncan 19 niece

Address: 4 Cadzow St, Hamilton

Monica

That looks like a great match for the rest of the family including Janet. :)

Looks like part of the Hamilton, Lanarkshire 1851 Census is not transcribed on Freecen.

Looby :)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 December 13 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Looby and Monica,

In 1841 Thomas Hamilton Snr was a PORTER!  Thomas Jnr aged 13 and Ann aged 15 are definitely with their uncle Robert Inglis in Shotts in 1851 and I haven't previously had an Elizabeth in the mix.  The only other anomaly I have is that there is a Gavin Hamilton (Lodger) present with Thomas and Ann and Uncle Robt.  He's a shoemaker aged 30 and single, born Bathgate.

Because I only have Thos Hamilton Snr on the 1841 census I don't actually know where he was born (other than Lanarkshire) or who his folk were.  When I found Thos and Ann Jnr with Uncle Robt I did have a feeling that maybe their parents had died but it's going to be difficult to ascertain that pre 1855.

I like the census you found too Monica...the sticking point is Thomas Jnr being on both returns plus Thos Snr changing occupations from Porter to Thatcher which would seem unlikely.

I would just like to determine what happened to the family post 1841 and found it odd that Uncle Robt, who was single, ended up with Thos and Ann.  Just thought maybe that something happened to the parents.

Thanks again for all your help folks,

Sage.  :-\

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 December 13 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The 1851 census on S.P. has a line between Elisabeth and Marrion and it says "twins" between them. There are lines through the ages but I think it should be 10.

Robert Hamilton, 72, died 28 Jan 1922, Bridgeton, Glasgow. Parents names Thomas Hamilton, House Thatcher, & Marion Hamilton m.s Inglis. Both deceased.

Robert was married twice.
First to Helen Bogue, widow, m.s Wilson, on 20 March 1874, Govan. Parents as above.

Second to Elizabeth Denison, widow, m.s  Cairns, on 2 Nov 1888, Bridgeton, Glasgow. Parents as above but this time his fathers occupation is a spirit merchant.