Author Topic: How to find (living) relatives in GB?  (Read 930 times)

Offline Agnes Germany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to find (living) relatives in GB?
« on: Saturday 30 November 13 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I'm Agnes from Germany (please excuse my mistakes in writing), and I just started my genealogical research.

Today I found two entries of relatives in Yorkshire, England, who had my (rarely and German) surname. I searched by google, but didn't find any entries of this surname in Britain yet.

The women married an English man in 1957, her son was born before, in 1949.  I reckon she took the English name of her new husband, and probably he adopted her son, and the two of them are named "Richardson" now.   And this name is very common in England...

I would like to meet this people, if they are still alive, but don't know how to find them.
Does anybody have a clue, how to research?  I'll be in England next June again for holiday and would be able to visit offices or departments by myself, if I wouldn't be successful by the internet.

Thanks in advance,

Agnes

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to find (living) relatives in GB?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 November 13 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Agnes

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

If you can, purchase the birth certificates from the General Register Office www.gro.gov.uk

They cost £9.25 each and will give you the actual dates of birth and full names of the parents and addresses where the birth took place and where the mothers was living it at the time.

Once you have that information you can look through the marriage and death registers to see if you can identify further events for these people.

Electoral registers can help as they list eligible voters at an address. Once you have an address and the electoral registers you can check how long people were living there.

Electoral registers are available online after 2002. Earlier registers are held in libraries and archives.

You can also checked online for current telephone numbers and addresses at www.bt.com

There are also hints and tips here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=261434.0

hope this helps.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Agnes Germany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to find (living) relatives in GB?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 December 13 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dawn,

yes, this helps indeed, thank you very much for the informations.  :)

So perhaps I'll spend my next holiday in archives and libraries with researching, instead of sightseeing.  ;)

Cheers,
Agnes