Author Topic: Pearce family Torquay - publicans  (Read 2642 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Pearce family Torquay - publicans
« on: Sunday 01 December 13 19:13 GMT (UK) »
William Francis Buttall Pearce, publican, is living in Pimlico Torquay in 1871 with his wife Ann Elizabeth and children. In 1881 Ann is shown as a widow - a beerkeeper in the London Inn, Pimlico. In 1911 their son Edward was innkeeper of the London Inn. We believe one of his brothers was innkeeper before Edward, but can't find the records. At some point the London Inn was renamed The Grapes (we believe).

This should be easy (it's an unusual name) - we're looking for the death of William F B Pearce, presumably between 1871 and 1881, but have had no luck. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pearce family Torquay - publicans
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 December 13 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi on the 1871 at Pimlico, Torquay, William is shown as plain William Pearce aged 58, could he therefore be the death William Pearce Sept qtr 1876 Newton A 5b 93 aged 63?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Keyboard86. I'd seen that death and had decided it was a different William - but I can't remember why now! YOu've made me look again, and it seems a possibility. I'll send for the death cert and keep my fingers crossed. I'll let you know - and thanks again.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 12:24 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate arrived today. I'd like to thank keyboard86 and another Rootschatter who sent me a personal message for their help. With the combined information from them I am able to identify the William Pearce who died in 1876 as the Pearce I've been looking for. There are one or two questions on the certificate which might have led me to believe this was another man, so I'm very grateful as you have saved me a lot of time examining dead ends!

So another occasion to be grateful for the help of Rootschat. Thanks again.

Offline m_rumsam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 December 13 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
One of my distant relatives, Wiliam Conibear Rumsam was a cooper and licensed victualler of the Grapes Inn in 1908. Also in Pimlico so the London Inn must have been a different pub if it was still around in 19111. I believe the Grapes is now the Pickwick Inn.

Martin

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 December 13 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin - we're very pleased to get any information as possible so your message does help. We're piecing all the bits we discover very slowly.

The first mention of the London Inn we've found in our family records is on the death cert we've just received (above) showing William's death was in the London Inn, Pimlico. His widow took over as innkeeper. She died in 1884.

In 1891 the ancestor we're interested in, Edward JOhn Pearce, was in the London Inn, shown as 36 Pimlico. Edward was still there in 1901. In 1911 he was in The Grapes which may have been 1 Pimlico. He died in 1918.

This ties in with your info. It seems that Edward moved from the London Inn to the Grapes between 1901 and 1911. Any other details you have would help. We're also trying to find out whether another brother took over the LOndon Inn after their mother died in 1884 and Edward John being inkeeper in 1891.

An older brother seems to have taken over The Royal Oak, also in Torquay.

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 December 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
What you have to remember is that Pimlico is nothing like it was. Today it is mainly commercial, the old school has gone and replaced by flats. The old Grapes building is still there, but is now a up market wine bar or similar.
Pimlico was very heavily populated and apparently was not a good place to live.
I've attached part of the 1866 Ordnance survey map
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the map, Terry - have just been over to Torquay, and looked up the area, The mystery is this was a very rich family, which seems to have lost it all at some point, and found themselves running pubs in the less affluent parts of Torquay. We're still trying to find out what happened. It's what makes genealogy so addictive!

Offline Ashmd001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 11:50 GMT (UK) »
William Francis Buttall Pearce, publican, is living in Pimlico Torquay in 1871 with his wife Ann Elizabeth and children. In 1881 Ann is shown as a widow - a beerkeeper in the London Inn, Pimlico. In 1911 their son Edward was innkeeper of the London Inn. We believe one of his brothers was innkeeper before Edward, but can't find the records. At some point the London Inn was renamed The Grapes (we believe).

This should be easy (it's an unusual name) - we're looking for the death of William F B Pearce, presumably between 1871 and 1881, but have had no luck. Can anyone help?

Hi if you want more information re crampton crafts can you email me and I can speak to the family as due to confidentiality I cannot share on here

Thank you.