Author Topic: Bewes family Plymouth  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bewes family Plymouth
« on: Sunday 01 December 13 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking to get in touch with someone who knows quite a bit of the history of this family during the 19th century

thank you

Phil 

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Bewes family Plymouth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 December 13 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Given that FindMyPast shows 68 Plymouth area baptisms, 104 Devon marriages and 21 burials, you may need to give some more specifics. Who are you actually researching please?
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 December 13 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I'm looking at the Cecil Bewes, Thomas Bewes, Reginald Bewes, Anstis Bewes connection.

I'm researching my Cricket Club in Plymouth of which this family were involved very heavily, especially Cecil, who owned much land and provided the Club with land on which to play in 1863. Much of the family, I believe, had much influence in the town (as it was then..)

Phil
thank you

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 10:00 GMT (UK) »
There is information on Brian Moseleys Plymouth Data site:-http://www.plymouthdata.info/WHO%20WAS%20WHO.htm
Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline David Bewes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 December 14 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I'm looking at the Cecil Bewes, Thomas Bewes, Reginald Bewes, Anstis Bewes connection.

I'm researching my Cricket Club in Plymouth of which this family were involved very heavily, especially Cecil, who owned much land and provided the Club with land on which to play in 1863. Much of the family, I believe, had much influence in the town (as it was then..)

Phil
thank you

Dear Phil, I have fairly extensive information about the Bewes family of Plymouth, of which I am a descendant.   By all means let me know what you are looking for and I will endeavour to help.  It would probably be easiest to correspond by Email, but it is probably inadvisable to put my address in this note.

Yours

David Bewes

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 December 14 11:55 GMT (UK) »
David - thank you - I have sent you a personal mail.

Phil

Offline David Bewes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear Phil, I am struggling with this site.   I have information I want to send you, but as it involves sending files and I want to do it by Email.   Can you phone me to give me an Email address?  (*).   With a very full house over Xmas, and a week away 30th Dec to 5th Jan, this could take a little while!!

Meantime, Great Grandfather CHARLES THEODORE BEWES & ELIZABETH his wife (nee SOLTAU) had issue twelve children:
1.   ELIZABETH FRANCES BEWES, who was born at Plymouth on 11 April 1847, & baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 13th May 1847.                  
2.   JANE SOLTAU BEWES, who was born at Plymouth on 11 April 1850, & baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 12th June 1850.                     
3.   FLORENCE LOUISA BEWES, who was born in Plymouth on 12th September 1852, & baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 26th January 1853.                
4.   CHARLES BEWES, who was born in Plymouth on 26th July 1854, & was baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 12th October 1854.                     
5.      REGINALD ANSTIS BEWES, who was born in Plymouth on 29th April 1856, and was baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 12th June 1856.               
6.   CATHERINE MARY BEWES, who was born in Plymouth on 28th May 1858, and was baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 29th June 1858.               
7.   HARRY DAVIES BEWES, who was born in Plymouth on 6th August 1859, and was baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 16th September 1859.               
8.   FRANCIS GODDARD BEWES, who was born in Plymouth on 31st August 1860, and was baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 24th October 1860.            
9.   ANSTIS GEORGE BEWES, who was born in Plymouth on 14th May 1863, and was baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 30th July 1863.                  
10.   EVELYN CULME BEWES, who was born in Plymouth on 1st August 1865, and was baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth  on 24th November 1865.            
11.   AGNES MAUDE BEWES, who was born in Plymouth on 9th May 1867, and was baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 5th April 1869.                  
12.   THOMAS CECIL BEWES, who was born in Plymouth on 17th October 1868, and was baptised at St Andrew's Church in Plymouth on 5th April 1869.   He was my Grandfather.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours David Bewes

(*) Moderator Comment: telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 December 14 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Re your no 7. Harry Davies Bewes:-
From THE TIMES January 6th 1930
Mrs. THEODORA BEATRICE BEWES, of Red Gables, Plympton, Devon, who died on May 3, widow of Harry Davies Bewes, left estate of the gross value of £22,975, with net personalty £7,209. She left: —
£500 in trust for her maid, Annie May Stevenson, and her children, and a further £500 absolutely.

Annie May Stevenson was my grandmother and continued to live at Red Gables until at least 1950.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline David Bewes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 December 14 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terryleaman,
Thanks very much for your message.  It is clear from Theodora's Will that your grandmother was very  much more than a maid to her.  If you do not have a copy of the Will, I will let you have one.  Theodora says: "I give all my personal chattels except as hereinbefore otherwise disposed of to my friend and maid Annie May Stevenson".  She also bequeaths her £500.  She also directs that a further £500 should be held in trust by her trustees for the said AMS and her children.  She expresses the desire that the said AMS "shall look after and perform all necessary services in connection with my burial and shall be present when I am placed in my coffin and screwed down".  "I request the said AMS to look after and care for the grave when it is put in order".
I am interested to know whether your grandmother told you or your family anything about Theodora's two sons:  Harry Theodore Bewes and Robert Cecil Bewes?   Both were effectively banished from the country by their father and mother.  Family rumour has it that they played fast and loose with the ladies of the town, and behaved in a totally unacceptable way, bearing in mind the status of the Bewes family!   I have always wanted to get nearer to the truth!  Certainly they went to live in USA and Canada.  If I am to send a copy of the Will I would like to send it be Email, and perhaps you could phone me on 01730 264744 to give me your address?   I will be abroad until 7th January so please delay your call until then.
Yours  David Bewes