Author Topic: Bewes family Plymouth  (Read 5311 times)

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bewes family Plymouth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 December 14 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, thanks for the extra information. I have just found three more entries about the will in the online newspaper archive at Find My Past. There is also an article about a divorce for Harry T in 1930.

Unfortunately I have never heard anything further about Mrs Bewes- I never really knew my grandmother except when I was very young, and my mother would never talk about her.

Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline David Bewes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bewes family Plymouth
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 December 14 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terryleaman, thank you.  I suspect that your grandmother's loyalty to Theodora would not have allowed her to talk of any scandal concerning Harry and Robert Bewes.  Harry Theodore married Winifred Marie Jerritt.  In 1930 she sued him for divorce on the grounds of his misconduct with a woman ...........   He must have married again fairly quickly, as on 26 June 1931 he and his wife Dorothy May Bewes arrived in England on ss Majestic of White Star Line.  His address was given as 10 Drapers Gardens, Throgmorton Street, London.   He had no children, so far as I am aware, and died in Bristol on 27 March 1933.
The younger son Robert Cecil married Alice Mason (an English girl) in Montreal in 1915, and they had three sons, none of whom had children.  Robert died in 1971.  I corresponded with his widow Alice, who was still alive, aged 96, and living with her son Leonard Bewes in Florida in 1990.   I did try calling on her youngest son Richard Culme Bewes in Montreal (by appointment) in about 1990, but he did not answer the door, although I am sure he was there!
I am surprised your grandmother was still living at Red Gables in 1950, as Theodora's Will instructed that her property should be sold, and the proceeds invested, with half of the income payable to each of the sons during their lifetimes.
Do let me know if you want a copy of the Will.   Yours, David Bewes