Author Topic: Online obituaries, Vancouver, BC  (Read 6883 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Online obituaries, Vancouver, BC
« on: Monday 02 December 13 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Is there a good online source for obituaries in Vancouver, BC?  The deaths of interest occurred in 1979 and 1986.  I've poked around a bit but I'm not coming up with anything.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Online obituaries, Vancouver, BC
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 December 13 05:51 GMT (UK) »

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 December 13 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you dbreeze1. I have extremely limited relatives who died in British Columbia. One who was buried there died in a railway carriage between Tacoma, Washington and Portland, Oregon. He has an Oregon death certificate. Walton Routledge was an Assistant Commissioner in the NWMP at the time of his death.

However his wife is included on page 6 of the Routledge name section of the BC Museum Collection. Lelia Margaret Adelaide Coulter Routledge, died 23 April 1951, Ross Bay, Victoria, BC. The Museum Collection has the correct death date but indicates she died at Oak Bay!

Their son Walton W.J. Routledge, RCMP, died 21 Nov 1972 at Port Hardy, BC. His death certificate in the collection confirms his birth 8 March 1917, Prince Albert, Sask..

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 December 13 07:12 GMT (UK) »
There are several people in Vancouver who are members of RAOGK - Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. I no longer have contact details for any of them but you can google away. Normally they will do the work free but ask you to pay for any photocopies and postage.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 December 13 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi barryd,

Death certificates are issued in the actual place of death. There is 3 KMs between Ross Bay and
Oak Bay, Victoria.  Perhaps she was visiting. :-\

Cheers,
DB

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 December 13 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link, dbreeze1.  The thing is, I know when and where they died.  What I'm looking for is newspaper obituaries.  I'll keep looking online and then maybe try RAOGK. 
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 December 13 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link, dbreeze1.  The thing is, I know when and where they died.  What I'm looking for is newspaper obituaries.  I'll keep looking online and then maybe try RAOGK.

http://raogk.wikia.com/wiki/British_Columbia
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 December 13 16:23 GMT (UK) »
According to the BC death registration she had a heart attack at her place of residence which was Oak Bay.  Her cremation and internment was in Ross Bay Cemetery.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 December 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »

Hi Erato:

Have you looked at the genealogy page for the Vancouver Public Library?

http://guides.vpl.ca/genealogy

If you type the word - obituaries - in the search box in the upper right corner of the page it gives you more information on searching and resources.

But I would suggest using the contact information and asking a specific question - including name and date of death.

sami

England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley