Author Topic: Balls Family, and Hall in the Merchant Rows & King Street Great Yarmouth info ?  (Read 5195 times)

Offline GFMcMath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Balls Family - Hart - Hall the Merchant Rows &  King Street Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
I believe great great grandfather Benjamin Arthur Balls was born about 1860, at Dartford, Kent, England. Have not found his father, mother, or family yet.  He was a fruiterer at 131 King Street in 1881, apparently his own grocery business with wife Charlotte Matilda, maiden name Hall, (Great Yarmouth family bakers of bread & sweets), born in Acle, Norfolk, England in 1857 Charlotte Matilda Hall baptised 15 Feb 1857 at Acle Norfolk, her parents (Samuel and Elizibeth Hall). The 1881 Census has Charlotte Matilda (Hall) Balls, age 22, and Charlotte's younger sister Anne Hall, age 19, working as the fruit grocery shopmaid, and a young domestic servant Miss Ann M. Crow age, 16. Benjamin Balls vanishes before the 1891 Census, Wife C.M. Balls ran the fruit grocery, moved to location at 159 King Street in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk... 1891 Census lists Alice Balls, (age 8), FLORENCE MATILDA BALLS, (age 7), Reginald Balls, (age 5), and Percy Balls, (age 3). In this household also did reside domestic servants and tutors. The 1891 Census listed these folks as Lena Fox, Martha Groom, and Harriet Tubby... Charlotte Matilda`s husband, Benjamin Arthur Balls, passed away 24 Dec 1890 at Great Yarmouth.  Charlotte Balls remarried to Mr. Edwin Hart  listed in the census of 1901 had moved to Civil Parish: Lambeth, St. Catherine Brixton, (Lambeth-Brixton), London, England with daughter Florence Matilda Balls, then age 19, and Charlotte's new, second husband Edwin Hart, age 54. Charlotte Matilda Hall (Balls) (Hart) was 44 years old at the time...  Re: Charlotte Matilda Hart "It looks like she moved to Prittlewell Essex to keep a confectioner's shop, she probably moved back to Norfolk eventually.  Charlotte Matilda (Hall) Balls) 'Hart'  died Sept qtr 1931, age 71. Norwich (4b 112)" information was provided by Suz,  (thank you!)

My grandmother is FLORENCE MATILDA BALLS who married in 1903, age 20, at Gt. Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, a Mr. Edmund Stanislaus Atherton(b.1880). She is in Alberta, Canada, Sept. 1913 crossing Sweetgrass International Border married to My Grandfather Otto Smithman... FLORENCE died October, 1972 in Helena, Montana USA..... Additional info and photos at   http://mcmath.tribalpages.com/?userid=mcmath&x=9&y=9   

Any further information about ancestors of the Great Yarmouth Hall family, merchants row 50, or Balls of King Street families would be helpful,  Thank you,  Gary

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Balls Family, and Hall in the Merchant Rows & King Street Great Yarmouth info ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 December 13 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat

Death reg FreeBMD
Benjamin Arthur Balls
Dec qtr 1890
age 30
Yarmouth
Norfolk
4b 9

Probate Calendar
12 January1891
The Will of Benjamin Arthur Balls late of Great Yarmouth in the county of Norfolk, Fruitere, who died 24 Dec 1890 at Great Yarmouth was proved at Norwich by Charlotte Matilda Balls of 159 King St Great Yarmouth, widow the Relict and sole Executrix
Effects £247

now to look for Charlotte!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Balls Family, and Hall in the Merchant Rows & King Street Great Yarmouth info ?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 December 13 23:49 GMT (UK) »
It looks like Charlotte remarried in 1895
Marriage reg FreeBMD
Dec qtr 1895
Camberwell
on same page
Charlotte Matilda Balls
Edwin Hart
1d 1608

even though in 1911 she said she had been married for 20 yrs!
You can look at 1911 index for free -we are not allowed to post details of 1911 census (copyright issues)

Charlotte used her middle name of Matilda in 1901 census -and later

It looks like she moved to Prittlewell Essex to keep a confectioner's shop

she probably moved back to Norfolk eventually

this looks like her death reg FreeBMD
Charlotte M Hart
Sept qtr 1931
age 71
Norwich
4b 112

I can't be certain which death reg is Edwins

and can't find a probate record

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 00:00 GMT (UK) »
it looks like Charlotte matilda was born 1857 not 1859

Birth reg FreeBMD
Charlotte Matilda Hall
Mar qtr 1857 (which would indicate a birth between mid late Dec 1856-Mar 1857)
Blofield reg district(Acle falls within this district)
Norfolk
4b 205

Family search has this baptism
Charlotte Matilda Hall
baptised 15 Feb 1857
Acle Norfolk
parents Samuel & Elizabeth

Suz

Offline GFMcMath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz,
 I appreciate the quick results you have provided to my inquiry, I am very new at RootsChat, and am most impressed. I shall modify my record on great grandmother Charlotte Matilda Balls and great grandfather Benjamin. I had no idea where my great grandmother Matilda was buried or a clue to what year she may have passed away.  1931 amazing, not that far back at all. Thank you so very much for your help.  Gary

It also led to this information on Charlotte Matilda Hall at age 13 at Norfolk, Great Yarmouth District, Yarmouth St.Nicholas, Census Returns, 1871 Sth District 12 Previous Year: 1871 Sth District 1 Next Year: 1871 Sth District 2         Document Reference: RG10/1790  (page-17)

HALL, Samuel, 50   hd, unm, Baker, (Row 50)
   Yearmouth    Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England

HALL, Elizabeth, 44    wf
   Martha m (Elizabeth's mother)

HALL, William, 15   s, sc,
   Acle

HALL, Charlotte Matilda, 13 d, sc,
   Acle

HALL, Mary Ann, 9   d, sc,
   Yearmouth

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 December 13 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Link for Benjamin Arthur Balls marriage certificate: (St Nicholas Great Yarmouth 1879)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11775-153350-26?cc=1416598&wc=MMVP-CMP:n741350974

Note: brides fathers name was William

possible baptism for Benjamin Arthur Balls:

Balls, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"
Name:    Benjamin Arthur Balls
Christening Date:    30 Dec 1860
Christening Place:    Yarmouth, Norfolk, England
Birth Date:    
Birthplace:    
Death Date:    
Name Note:    
Race:    
Father's Name:    Benjamin Barber Balls
Father's Birthplace:    
Father's Age:    
Mother's Name:    Martha Balls
Mother's Birthplace:    
Mother's Age:    
Indexing Project (Batch) Number:    I04112-6
System Origin:    England-EASy
GS Film number:    930327
Reference ID:    53

Offline GFMcMath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 December 13 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear candrjm,

I am grateful for your observation that Charlotte Matilda Hall father's name is listed as William, not Samuel on the certificate.    Very likely though Samuel, not William Hall is the father of Charlotte Matilda Hall (Balls) and her siblings. The belief is, that Charlotte's older brother William was there with his sister, and that the parish clerk simply by mistake inscribed the name 'William' as father on the certificate.

The quest now is for further information relating to great great grandfather Samuel Hall the baker of bread and sweets in the mid 1800's at Merchants Row 50, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.

Samuel Hall's 1800's ancestral record so far has not been determined save for recent census information back to 1861 see (today's post) provide by 'Suz'.  The search for the ancestral lineage of Benjamin Barber Balls of the same period continues.

Thank you,
Gary

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 December 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I would first check parish register to see if William had been transcribed correctly.

I can only find the birth/baptism of Charlotte Matilda which I posted - parents Samuel & Elizabeth
1871 census has Charlotte Matilda with her parents Samuel & Elizabeth -she has a brother William
a puzzle??
will post the census

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 December 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
1881 census Charlotte has sister Mary Annie Hall age 19 living with her and Benjamin

4 Row 50 Gt Yarmouth
Samuel Hall Head M 50 Baker Gt Yarmouth
Elizabeth wife 44 Martham? Norfolk
William son 15 Acle
Charlotte Matilda daughter 13 Acle
Mary Ann daughter 9 Gt Yarmouth
RG10 1789 70 17

7 Row 50 Gt Yarmouth
Samuel hall Head M 41 Baker Gt Yarmouth
Elizabeth wife 33 martham?
William son 6 Acle
Caroline daughter 9 Yarmouth
Charlotte daughter 4 Yarmouth
Mary A daughter 1 Yarmouth
William Norman Lodger M 70 ag lab Somerton
Susannah Norman Lodger M 68 Wainford
RG9 1192 50 9

Looks like father needs further investigation

Suz