Author Topic: Alston Area Lead Miners  (Read 5703 times)

Offline iwhite99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alston Area Lead Miners
« on: Saturday 18 June 05 16:55 BST (UK) »
In the 1700s and 1800s there were many people in the Alston and Nenthead area whose living depended on lead mining.  Does anyone know where they originally came from ?
Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,  Ian

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Re: Alston Area Lead Miners
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 05 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

afraid I don't but try these sites if you haven't already seen them:

http://www.northpennineancestors.co.uk/Index.htm - lists a couple of useful books on the history of lead mining in the area as well as a whole host of genealogy info and interests for the area

http://www.dmm.org.uk/mindex.htm - a great site for all things northern and mine related.  It may be too modern but worth a browse.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/pen/nenthd.htm - Mining  Heritage Centre just 5 miles from Alston that covers history from the 1700s.  Links look useful too.

Cheers

Sue
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iwhite99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 05 11:52 BST (UK) »
Sue,

Many thanks for the web sites.  I already know one of them, but will be going to the other two to see what can be found. 

Your help is very much appreciated.  It's difficult doing such local research from Canada, but is made much easier by people such as yourself who are so helpful.

Cheers,  Ian White in Ottawa, Canada.

Offline VeraT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 06 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Ian, Many came from "over the fell" - Allendale, Co. Durham

What names inparticular interest you?

Regards Vera T

Offline iwhite99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 February 06 02:27 GMT (UK) »
The specific family name which interests me is WHITE.

Thanks,  Ian in Canada.

Offline VeraT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 06 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Ian, Have you got the White families which appear on the 1841-1901 Census?  Do you have a particular family that you are looking for?  Many of the miners from Nenthead, my g.grandfather included, went to Canada, logging, I am told. My g.grandfather came home to Nenthead but some stayed, my William Cousin was one  (I would love to know if he has any family still living) and his sister, Mary Ann Cousin.  My Mum says "they had something to do with jam factories"!!  How do I find out about jam factories!! - Canada is a big place and I'm sure there would be more than one.  If I can find any info on any White families I will get back in touch.

Regards, VeraT

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 06 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Ian…

Just wondering if you got anywhere with your original quest to find out where the inhabitants of Alston Moor came from originally.

I have ancestors there too & the trail goes cold about 1750. I have heard of tin miners moving up from Cornwall also of Scottish folk displaced in the Jacobite Rebellions. I have also found some families with the same name in nearby Brampton which I think was involved in weaving from early times, maybe some moved to Nenthead when the lead mines got going. I went to Nenthead last year, checked out the Heritage Centre and the local area generally but found nothing that answered that particular question.

terry
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)