Author Topic: Descendants of Duncan Rankin and Mary Olinda Debrix in Ardrossan, Ayrshire  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
Descendants of Duncan Rankin and Mary Olinda Debrix in Ardrossan, Ayrshire
« on: Thursday 05 December 13 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm interesting is investigating the descendants of Duncan Rankin (b about 1865 in Paisley, Renfrewshire, I think) and Mary Olinda Debrix (b dec. qtr. 1863 in Liverpool). They married in Jun. Qtr. 1889 in West Derby, Liverpool, but are later found on the census in Ardrossan, Ayrshire, where they seem to have had 4 children :

Elizabeth Froude Rankin, b 25 avr. 1890.
Margaret (Maggie) Lander Rankin, b 10 juil. 1891.
Mary Gibson Rankin, b 06 janv. 1893.
John Rankin, b 28 août 1896 and I think died on 26 déc. 1918 in Brindisi, Italy.

I found a possible marriage for Mary Gibson Rankin to John Baird on 23 nov. 1923 with the place "Pladda View Titchfield Troon". (Would that mean Titchfield road, Troon?). Ideally, I would prefer to look for the descendants of Elizabeth Froude Rankin, because I imagine the eldest daughter would most likely have inherited family items and it is the Froude's that interest me. (Mary Olinda's mother was Elizabeth Froude, sister of my great grand-mother.)

Some of the above information was obtained from www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk.

Can anyone advise me as to the best way to go forward with this? I have no experience doing family history research in Scotland. Do I need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk? Ideally, I would like to trace a living descendant of this family, but perhaps that's too much to hope for.

Thank you,

Alan

Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Duncan Rankin and Mary Olinda Debrix in Ardrossan, Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 December 13 13:10 GMT (UK) »

Hello Alan,

Here is the 1881 census for whom i think are your family,

Address Princes Street, Ardrossan, Ayr.

Margaret Rankine, Head, Baker Mistress Employing 1 man 1 boy, W. age 40 years, F. born Paisley, Renfrew,
Duncan Rankine, Son, Apprentice Baker, Age 16 years, M. born Paisley, Renfrew,
Maggie Rankine, Daur, Scholar, Age 14 years, F. born Ardrossan, Ayrshire,
Bessie Rankine, Daur, Scholar, age 10 years, F. born Ardrossan, Ayrshire,
Hellen Neil, Visitor, Drapers Shopwoman, W. age 38 years, F. born Paisley, Renfrew.

You state in your post a Margaret Lander Rankin, born 1891, she was in fact Maggie Lauder Rankin, born 1891 Ardrossan, Ayr.

The name Lauder, comes from.

Duncan Rankin, born 15/May/1864. High Church, Paisley, Renfrew, to parents John Rankin, and Margaret Lauder,

John Rankin, married Margaret Lauder, 22/July/1863. High Church, Paisley, Renfrew. the couple moved to Ardrossan, sometime after Duncan Rankin, was born 1864.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 December 13 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Jonn and Ev. For some reason I'm afraid to venture into "Scottish territory", even though I once lived in Edinburgh for a year! Alan

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 December 13 15:21 GMT (UK) »
SP has a death Elizabeth Froud Rankin , 1946 , Renfrew , born c1890

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 December 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Ev, I suppose that means that she didn't marry.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 December 13 08:58 GMT (UK) »
The record will be available to download from SP , or you could check the free index for 'other surname' by entering A* , B* , etc. and see if any shows.

ev

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
Rankin's in Glasgow area
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 May 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace forward the descendants of one of my indirect ancestors, Mary Olinda Debrix (sometimes Devereaux or other variants), who married Duncan Rankin (originally from Paisley, Renfrewshire), in West Derby, Liverpool, in 1889 and subsequently first moved to Ardrossan, where they had 4 children, Elizabeth Froude Rankin (b 1890), Maggie Lauder Rankin (b 1891), Mary Gibson Rankin (b 1893) and John Rankin (b 1896).

They later moved to the Glasgow area, as I found them on the 1911 census in Pollokshields, Lanarkshire.

Unfortunately, John died at 22 yrs old in WWI. Also, though I found a marriage for Elizabeth to William George Forsyth on 20 July 1914 in Cathcart, I've so far only found one daughter for them, Bertha Johann Forsyth (b 1921 in Milngavie) and she appears to have married only in 1968, so may not have had any children. William and Elizabeth were living at 44 Albert Drive, Crosshill, Glasgow at the time of their marriage.

The other lines are proving more difficult to trace, especially with the system of credits on a certain Scottish records website(!) and the fact that the mother's maiden name is not available to narrow down birth records.

I'm wondering if someone has a suggestion as to the best resource to use to narrow down these searches before looking for confirmation on the official website. Also, would Cathcart have indeed belonged to Renfrewshire at that time? I'm a bit confused about this point. This is my first real venture north of the border!

(Sorry, I quite forgot that I had unsuccessfully undertaken this research once before back in 2013 it seems:

Threads merged.

However, the marriage I found for Mary Gibson Rankin was not for the right person. I recently discovered that the family moved to the Glasgow area, so I was looking in the wrong place before.)

Thanks,

Alan

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rankin's in Glasgow area
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 May 19 14:24 BST (UK) »
Alan, Cathcart was annexed by Glasgow in 1912.

Skoosh.