Author Topic: "Sensitive information" vs Freedom of Information  (Read 4560 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: "Sensitive information" vs Freedom of Information
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 December 13 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Most likely I am a tad old fashioned, (I know I have been addicted to FH for decades) but may I note that the entries in Church Registers were not recorded for the benefit of 21st century family history buffs. In fact the entries were not recorded for the benefit of any secular regime; and, in possibly an extreme interpretation, they were not recorded  for the eyes of any of the other denominations.   

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 December 13 10:29 GMT (UK) »

Dare I suggest that the Catholic Church looks to what has been done as regards the records of the Established Church and emulate or even improve on that? Time to get a grip, both locally and centrally.

Imber

Why should they, the records are not public records, they are the records of an organisation and the Church is entitled to decide whether they allow access to such records.

Andy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 December 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&1375
Catholic Parish Registers
Catholic Parish Registers comprise records of
•   births and baptisms
•   marriages
•   confirmations
•   deaths and burials
•   communicants
•   sick calls
•   status animarum
•   converts
•   first confessions
•   seat rents

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=2110
Catholic Parish Registers - Accessing the original records

“The original historic sacramental records of the missions and parishes of the Catholic Church in Scotland are stored at the Scottish Catholic Archives….. Edinburgh”
“Digital copies of the original records ......”

“Further advice and guidance can be given by the Scottish Catholic Archives to those who require it”

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 December 13 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Nicoll has written the excellent "Scottish Catholic Family History - A family historian's guide to Catholic Parish Registers and Cemetery Records for Scotland and the Bishopric of the forces" (ISBN 978-09557591-7-8). Initially he takes you through an explanation of the types of records before giving a listing of the records by mission/parish. There is also a directory and maps of the missions/parishes.

Eric