Author Topic: O' Leary, Daniel-Mallow, Co. Cork  (Read 2674 times)

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
O' Leary, Daniel-Mallow, Co. Cork
« on: Friday 06 December 13 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I have recently come across another branch of my family tree but I have little information on him.

His name was Daniel O' Leary Born in West Cork (around the Bantry area) and died 3rd April 1940 in Mallow. He was an officer in the Royal Irish Constabulary, stationed in Galway for a spell but died in Mallow resident of O' Brien Street, which we believe was the barracks for the RIC at the time.

He had a brother Timothy O' Leary

Thats as much information I have for now. Any information would be useful.

Thanks
Moore, Kiernan, O' Sullivan, O' Connor
Other names I know of are:
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: O' Leary, Daniel-Mallow, Co. Cork
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 December 13 04:39 GMT (UK) »
When was Daniel Born, please,

Bantry Cork, RC, Parish church
Timotheus Leary
April 1876
son of Timotheus Leary and Brigida Lyons,
sponsors Timotheus Leary and Maria McCarthy
there are many Daniels and Timothys in this area, who did he marry,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately what I have posted is all I know at the moment about Daniel O' Leary. I have managed to trace my Fathers Family back to 1800. My Mothers Family on the other hand are very difficult to trace. There is a possibility that we might get more information soon about Daniel but in the mean time that is all I have to go on. I will keep you posted though.

Alan
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I have recently come across another branch of my family tree but I have little information on him.

His name was Daniel O' Leary Born in West Cork (around the Bantry area) and died 3rd April 1940 in Mallow. He was an officer in the Royal Irish Constabulary, stationed in Galway for a spell but died in Mallow resident of O' Brien Street, which we believe was the barracks for the RIC at the time.
He had a brother Timothy O' Leary

Thats as much information I have for now. Any information would be useful.

Thanks

The Royal Irish Constabulary was abolished in 1922. In 1940, the Irish police force was An Garda Siochana.

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sonas

I am aware that the RIC was disbanded in 1922 when Ireland became a free state. What I meant was that O' Brien Street was the old RIC headquarters in Cork at the time and was likely to be used as a Garda Barracks after 1922. I have very little information about Daniel O' Leary. It could be just a coincidence he was living on that street.

Do you have any information that could help me in my search?

Alan

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sonas

I am aware that the RIC was disbanded in 1922 when Ireland became a free state. What I meant was that O' Brien Street was the old RIC headquarters in Cork at the time and was likely to be used as a Garda Barracks after 1922. I have very little information about Daniel O' Leary. It could be just a coincidence he was living on that street.

Do you have any information that could help me in my search?

Alan

Do you have his death cert and does it say he was a Garda when he died? There is a listing for a D. O'Leary, O'Brien St, in a 1940 street directory on the Cork Past and Present website. It says 'refreshments.' I don't know if this is meant to be an occupation of some kind.

Have you seen this? http://www.infin8-images.com/restoration.html. It gives a townland in Bantry. You could use this to see if you can find a baptism record.

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 December 13 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Its funny you should mention that website, infin8, that is my brothers website. We are both trying to trace the family tree using whatever resources we have. Do you have a link to that directory you mentioned.

Alan