Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)CHRISTIE James - a Tailor from Montrose.  (Read 13989 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: CHRISTIE James - a Tailor from Montrose - where do I go now?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 December 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Jen, not encouraging you to spend out your SP units  ::) but if you are looking to link up the generation of children, what happened to son James born c. 1848-9 in Montrose? He is with mother in 1861 and then?

If you don't have something for him, wondered whether this might be him - all spellings as per transcript:

1871: James Christer, 21 born Montrose and a cabinet maker by trade. Lodging in Dundee.

1881: James Christie and wife Margaritt. This James, aged 31, born in Montrose and a Model Maker (Ship) - thought this might fit well with joinery etc. One son, James aged 1. Family in Partick, Lanarkshire. Margaret shows as born in [Eckell] Forfarshire - 1891 shows Edzell...to connect maybe with this marriage (just a guess) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTVK-N82

1891 and 1901: Family still in Partick, Lanarkshire.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 December 13 16:30 GMT (UK) »
It's her! - only 28 hmmm knocked a couple of years off her age as she was born during the US visit and they came back in September 1854. Anyways - both parents correct and now both deceased - mother Charlotte died in March the wedding was in July.  Her sister Charlotte signed as witness (still unmarried by the looks of it..). He's from 'The Ferry' as we say in Dundee. Not sure about that name though Jane L - yes but V? looks more like a T on the marriage cert and the census says N. She's living in Dundee at 41 Lilybank - her sister Elizabeth is living at number 44 on the 81 census. OK that's Elizabeth her sister (My GGgrandmother) sorted, Jane taken through to marriage, Robina through to death, Charlotte alive in 1884 and still single.  That leaves James.  Got to lock the hens up then read the next post about James!
Cheers
Jen
PS have not forgotten about medical records or poorhouse -that will be new for me.
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 December 13 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Take care of the hens  ;D

Charlotte I think certainly still single in 1881. I thought this would be her that year:

Charlotte Christie, 30, housemaid b. Montrose. Working at the Douglas household, 6 Union T'Ce, Dundee.

There are a couple of marriages in Angus between 1881-91 as possibilities. Three possible deaths to check post 1881 as maybe for her with her name (haven't added a second surname) but a birth range of 1852+3...two of these in Angus.

I tried picking her up simply searching by birth year range/Char*e/b. Montrose in 1891 & 1901...but not getting far with that!

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 December 13 17:27 GMT (UK) »
'Re James, son...he may have died in 1921 Partick. There are a couple of Will & Testament entries on SP for that year for a James who died on 30/04/1921 at Partick (testate). SP's death in Partick/1921 give this James a birth year of 1850...very close to your James' year.

Monica

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 December 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
James Christie the cabinet maker not mine - his father was a 'mill overseer' mother's name was Helen. Looked promising though as of the James Christies getting married between 1870 and 1895 only four are in Angus and that was one of them. I'm pretty sure the one in Kirriemuir will be to another James Christie who was also a tailor (but more successful than my relative!).  There's one in Dundee JC to a Margaret Bell 1879 and one in Brechin 1890 to a Margaret Tosh.
When he's 11 he's down as working as a clothier...I've got nothing on him after that as I've never really looked giving this lot were set aside before I found papa had ran off to the US!
Coincidence? Daughter Robina (born in London - 1847 Southwark) - when she married she becomes Robina Pearce Christie Milne and on her death cert her mother is listed as Charlotte Pearce.  Wel,l came across a Robina C Pearce born in 1891 (thought that C might be Christie but it turned out to be Charlotte) - born Southwark.  Obviously that's not Robina's mother but it seems a bit peculiar - maybe I'm just looking to make non existant connections!
Jen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 December 13 18:08 GMT (UK) »

- maybe I'm just looking to make non existant connections!

You are not really...it is all just part of the mind sets you need to adopt along the way!

Pity about that James...must be something in the name for this line ;)

Monica

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 14:51 GMT (UK) »
1841 census William Paxton 40 with his mother (perhaps) age 70  Margaret LAW - living in Logie Pert.  Also an Ann Mitchell in the household a bleacher.  1841 census James Christie in Montrose  staying in a household with a Margaret Mitchell age 65. 
Not many Paxton's around so I think William might be Ann's brother and the Middle name given to Thomas is Law not Low.  I have his birth record and there is only an 'L' showing.

The Ann Paxton with the cut throat is James Chrisitie's potential mother - the address on the death cert is the same as that on his birth cert. Ann Paxton married James Christie in 1819 in Logie Pert, Thomas married Ann Alexander in 1855 in Perth.
Oh Jane in 1911 census still has all the family at home - but no helpful middle names showing.
All for now
Jen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

Sounds like you are ploughing through there!

There are so few Christies aren't there originating from Logie Pert. Just a few questions as a little review:

Have you been able to find a marriage date for James Christie and wife Charlotte? Charlotte is showing with her family in Logie Pert (father William and mother Charlotte Wallace?) for 1841. Marriage therefore between 1841-45?

Am I right in thinking there are no children's OPR births or christenings to be found? Maybe a different religeous denomination at that time?

Trying to summarise in my head what children's names we have so far:

Elizabeth born c. 1845 in Logie Pert. Your gg grandmother. You have all her details. Did she ever use a middle name?

Robina born c. 1847 b. England (likely London from what you have found) - possible middle name of Pearce. You have all her details.

James born c. 1849 in Montrose...gone AWOL since 1861 when he showed living with his mother Charlotte in Montrose.

Charlotte born 1850 in Montrose. We have her in the 1881 census we think, still single, and then as a witness to Jane's wedding in 1884. Possible marriage and deaths for her on SP (as always, it is all about managing those SP units!).

Jane Louise born c. 1854 in Milwaukee, US. We have her marriage now and up to 1901 census. She uses a variety of initials to her name. Jane L(ouise) and then either T/D/N etc as a futher initial.

No children show for Charlotte and husband James post 1855.

Completely off in a different wing...Have you ever considered the possibility that James could be illegitimate...

I saw in earlier searches an Elizabeth Christie, a dress maker b. Logie Pert, old enough to be his mother, in the early censuses.  Not at all sure that William C and Ann Paxton necessarily connect so far.

Monica  :)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Another part of the jigsaw...William Paxton lived a good age - he died in 1892.  On the death cert his mother is down as Margaret LAW and his widow as Betsy Mitchell. Maybe that was Betsy's mother and sister that the young James Christie was staying with on 1841 census.

I also found Charlotte Easton (later to become James's wife) living in Logie Pert in 1841 along with the rest of her family.  Because I'd been so focussed on the scoundral James I'd never explored Charlotte's past.  So I now have Charlotte connected to Logie Pert and a reason for her to have given birth to her first child there!
All this is very interesting but I still don't have a death cert to show 'my' Jame's parents...and I'm beginning to think I never will... >:(
Oh no one of those 'while you were typing messages....'
I'll post this then read the next one...or I'll get even more confused!