Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)CHRISTIE James - a Tailor from Montrose.  (Read 13986 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CHRISTIE James - a Tailor from Montrose - where do I go now?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 December 13 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you traced any marriages of the children to see when he is listed as deceased?

Have you checked Poor Relief records?

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 December 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I remember now it was Banff - that must have been why I didn't keep a note of the paper! I've checked the birth and death certificates of the Burntisland Jemima Christie - looks like her and Robina were both to another James Christie - not a tailor. Somehow don't think our James would have taken up labouring for a living.
Have now read the article about him leaving her with no money...also this time it's FIVE children mentioned not FINE children so it really must be them.
Finally found Charlotte 'Charolette' on the 1881 census...she is still living at the same address as the family were in 1851 (I only found her by using the address on her death cert without her name ahhh). I think it's a bit odd she managed to keep the same house while living in the States.
Not sure I wanted to find Thomas living in Edinburgh means I can't dismiss as easily the 1856 death of a James Christie 'pauper lunatic' age 31 at the Royal Edinburgh Morningside. I know he should be 34 ...but maybe that bump on the head when he was knocked down by the omnibus contributed.
Cheers
Jen
I'll post this then tell about the children...
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 December 13 17:12 GMT (UK) »
The children and what I know...
Elizabeth b. 1845 Logie Pert (my GG grandmother) -marries David Russell in 1871 - cert lists James Christie - Tailor - deceased.
Robina b. 1847 London -marries Hugh Milne in 1878 - James is still dead but has now been elevated to 'master tailor'. Also, on the marriage cert Robina adds a middle name - 'Pearce'.  Have no idea where that came from? Robina lives till 1936 and on her death cert her mother Charlotte's maiden name is listed as Pearce not Easton.

I don't know what happened to the other three - I have daughter Charlotte on 1871 census and Jean/Jane Louise (Monica why Laurie?) on the 1871 census living with her mother.
Charlotte the wife lists married on the 61 census but  widowed on the 71 census.
I've not checked poor relief..I do have a James Christie dying in a poor house in Glasgow in 1863 age 42...but he's listed as a widower and Charlotte was very much alive then.
I know this is hard to believe but also -  in 1867 I've got a death cert for an Ann Paxton (or Christie it says on the cert) age 71 from Logie Pert - cause of death - 'incised wound across the throat producing immediate death'.  Wonder if this made the papers?
Jen

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 December 13 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Looks like he went to the USA in 1852 on the Janet arriving 4/19/1852 - age 30 - Tailor.  1822 still looking good for his year of birth.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22118-15207-84?cc=1921756&wc=M9MV-LLY:1412088892

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 December 13 19:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a mention of Ann Christie, an elderly married woman,residing in Hillside, committing suicide, in the Dundee Advertiser (12 Oct.1867 edition). She was found by her neighbours & there was no known reason for this suicide. Hope this helps,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 December 13 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,
That should be her - the death cert is dated October the 10th. No foul play then!
Cheers
Jen

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 December 13 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I also think you should check poor relief records, & see if there's any medical records for the pauper lunatic as well. They usually contain a wealth of information.  :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 December 13 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Jen, forgive me...I can't remember where I saw the ref to Jane Louise as Jane Laurie (would have to retrace my steps...).

This may very likely be her don't you think in 1901/1891:

Charles S Reid 40 Foreman Mason b. Coupar Angus, Perthshire
Jane L N Christie Reid 44 b. America, mellwaaher (likely Milwaukee!)
Robert Reid 15
James C Reid 13
Charles S Reid 12
William Reid 10
Josua K Reid 7

Address: 103 Roseberry St, Liff and Benvie Angus

The family show in 1 Abbotsford Place, Liff and Benvie in 1891. Jane showing as Jane L D C Reid.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 December 13 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica - I suspect it was on the 1961 Census you saw her name.  SP bless them just found a marriage for a Charles Reid and a Jane" L V "Christie 1884 - yikes looks like more credits to see the record...I like Mellwaaher!