Author Topic: North Hill in Devon?  (Read 9736 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: North Hill in Devon?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 07:48 GMT (UK) »
The 1891 census shows Henry living with his son in law, Robert Stewart,  at Ardrossan Road, Ardrossan. Henry is shown as a widower, aged 75, retired contractor, born England.

Henry's daughter (Sarah Stewart) is shown as born England circa 1849.

This fits with Janey's 1881 find.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 08:18 GMT (UK) »
I did put the 1891 census there earlier too. ;) I wish the pages of threads were longer, it would be harder to lose track of what's there! (see reply #19 for the rundown)

I figured out his 1891 death by trial and error at SP without spending credits, since I don't have any functional ones at the moment.

Interesting confirmation of the Scottish connection. I had first suspected Oz and did a quick check in NSW deaths to see whether that was where the parents' names came from, then tried censuses again and bingo, 1891 in Scotland ... Lucky he lived long and prospered.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 08:24 GMT (UK) »
I always have a few SP credits - still looking for a missing link in one of my lines ;D

Scottish certs are wonderful - so much info for full confirmation - it looks as if Walter got his paternal granny's name wrong though (Ann = Mary).

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Oh I know! Once I finally figured out who my grx3 grfather was in one line (after finding I had a grx2 grfather, and getting very specific info about his father from his marriage certificate), his life was still a blank between baptism in the 1790s in Wiltshire and old age and death in the workhouse in Wiltshire, except that his son reported consistently that he was born in Bristol himself. Well, somebody at another site, and I have no idea why, looked for him in Scotland, and damned if he hadn't remarried there in 1839 (I have since found a record of his first marriage and wife's death in Bristol). And then, after literally years of looking for him in the 1841 English census, I turned to Scotland and there he was, large as life. His parental info wasn't actually on the Scottish parish record of his marriage ... but he had decided to go native and insert his mother's surname into his name, so there was no doubt. And on his second wife's death, she was identified as wife of him, with his occupation, so again, solid evidence.

For all that the English set about turning the world into one big bureaucracy, they did a damned bad job on that civil registration thing. ;) Imagine, if somebody back in 1837 (or before, in parish records) had thought women, not just fathers, actually mattered, how much easier our lives would be now! I might even know who the family of my grx3 grandmother in that line was.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your various inputs. I do have some of this information already but there is much to peruse in the thread.

It wasn't my intention to be evasive with detail..I simply wanted to know the location of a North Hill in Devon however the additional info is much appreciated.

I will come back to this later.

Thanks

deebel
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline CanadaCreberSteuart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
Re Henry Creber, who died in Ardrossan, who had a daughter Sarah who married Robert Steuart.  These are all my relatives, and am able to provide details if you are examining this route. Likewise would like to hear from any who might also be descended from this Henry Creber.

Offline CanadaCreberSteuart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 21:28 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention, that all these references to Stewart, are actually meant to say Steuart, but as you know sometimes spelled incorrectly on census infor etc.  I can take that Steuart family back a further two hundred years.   I also believe I can take the John Creber with son Henry Creber back another one or two hundred years. 

Offline Notmyrealnameee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 30 September 19 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hello! My first post! Anyone still there?

I am descended from Henry Creber, through his son Walter, and his daughter Elizabeth, who was my mother’s paternal grandmother. Has anyone nailed down Henry’s birth and parents, or found out about his wife Jane Titchener?

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to the board.

I did look at Henry Creber although I haven't looked at files on him for quite a while .... more priority things relating to my own dead rellies!

I never really took him back further although his parents were named on his death certificate. John Creber and Ann Withercombe? Or was it Mary?

I have a note that Jane Titchener died in Germany around 1866. Presumably Henry was working with a British contractor building railways. The fact that Austria and Prussia decided to have a bit of a do (Austro-Prussian war 1866) may have prompted Henry returning to Britain.

Did Elizabeth marry a Clark?

If you make a few posts you will be able to send PM's. Also I recall there was a poster from Canada who said he could take Henry way back.

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.