Author Topic: North Hill in Devon?  (Read 9740 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: North Hill in Devon?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I saw three ;)

CREBER    Henry    1815   Peter Tavy   Devon      
CREBER    Henry    1816   Plymouth   Devon      
CREBER    Henry    1816   Meavy   Devon

but I don't pay for details.

The Meavy one is in the 1851 census.

Possibly of interest in 1851 is Elizabeth Gale, married daughter of Mary Creber. Elizabeth was born in North Hill c1817 and married William Gale in 1844.

If she was the sister of "H" her marriage certificate would give the father's name.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Well, as I said, I lived down there for over 20 years and the only North Hill that I know of in Devon is in Plymouth - map link given - Reply #6
 :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure what the argument is.

In fact I have no idea what it is.

You reported that North Hill is in Plymouth.

I believe you.

I see a record at FindMyPast for a Henry Creber baptised in Plymouth.

Meavy is not in Plymouth.

North Hill is in Plymouth.

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I'd still like to see the original record! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 22:32 GMT (UK) »
No argument - just confirming Plymouth  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 22:45 GMT (UK) »
That's why I posted it - so if someone has access to FindMyPast, they can see what it says.

All ***I*** said is that this is what FindMyPast says.

What I'd like is some more detail about the question ... if someone has a birthdate for someone, they know something else about them ............

Meanwhile, I got peeved that I couldn't find the 1851 Creber family in 1841, and looked until I did. They are in Beer Ferris, Buckland Monachorum, Tavistock, transcribed at Anc'y as Cober and corrected by a user in 2011 to Creber (except the correction apparently never got indexed).

John 55 farmer (as was Mary in 1851)
Mary 50
Ann 20
William 18
Walter 16
Emlyn 14
Jane 11
Richard 9
Mary 6

Daughter Elizabeth had already flown, it appears, and if there was a child H that child would be gone too. Mary is shown as 60 in 1851 (despite Anc'y calling her 40), which might make her a tad young to have a child baptised in 1815, but 50 and 60 are such nice round numbers.

The very specific North Hill connection with the same surname seems to me like something I would investigate.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I do have further information. My question was specifically about North Hill in Devon.

The source is a headstone inscription

Henry Creber Born at North Hill Devon 20 June 1815

I do have the dc which notes Father : John Creber (decd) Farmer and Mother Anne (nee Withercomb) (decd)
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've found another North Hill, Devon  and it would fit better with a farmer as a father:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0x7y/

It's just to the south of Ottery St Mary

Gadget

PS - also one nearer to Barnstaple  :-\

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 01:50 GMT (UK) »
I don't understand why the available information would not be provided. Where the North Hill in question might be could just be related to where the person was known to reside.

The 1841 household I posted, a Creber family in which daughter Elizabeth is shown in 1851 as born in North Hill, was headed by a John who was a farmer. Certainly an amazing coincidence, and to think I found it all by myself.

It is entirely possible that the Mary to whom he was married, who was a widowed farmer in 1851 and at least 5 years younger than John, was a second wife.

I don't suppose we might be told where the headstone happens to be ... or when the death was ... With parents' info on it, one suspects it was a childhood death, but one just doesn't know. Or hm, it is not an English death certificate ...

edit - I missed the connection but Devon Maid posted the obvious baptism of the Elizabeth I referred to in the 1851 census:

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=1938965

1817, daughter of John and Mary; father's occupation hind (skilled farm worker).