Author Topic: Searching for the Parents of John Percy Harris  (Read 13785 times)

Offline MLHarris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for the Parents of John Percy Harris
« on: Wednesday 11 December 13 06:59 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the parents of John Percy harris . I believe he was born in Essex England in 1513 and died in Holtherop, Glouscestershire England in 1544. He was married to Anne Annis and had 4 children, Alice, William, John and Joan. I found his will and that of his wifes....but after months of searching i cannot find any proof of who his parents were and I would really appreciate any guidance as where else to look.  Following is the will as taken from Bethia:
JOHN HARRIS 1513-1554 .
John Harris, yeoman, of Hartherup, co. Gloucester, was born at least as early as 1513.  He married Anne or Annis _____, perhaps about the year 1533.  His will, dated October 22, 1533, and proved June 4, 1544, left the lease of the house in which he dwelt to his daughter Alice Winchcombe, and, if she should die before it expired, the remainder of the term was to belong to her daughter.  His two sons, WILLIAM (our direct ancester)and John Harris, received seventy-two acres of land occupied by William Carney, a sheep pasture and also ten sheep and a bullock apiece.  The residuary legatee and executrix was his wife Anne Harris, and John Sermon. Peter Fathers and John Chapleyn were named overseers.  The witnesses were John George, William Manne and John Sermon..
The will of Anne Harris, widow, of Hatherup, was made June 17, 1585, and proved Febuary 5, 1585/6.  She gave to her daughter Alice Winchkome (Winchcombe) a new gown, three sheets, etc., and made small personal gifts to (GRANDCHILDREN??) Anne, James, John, Thomas Winchkome & ALSO William Harris the younger, Anthony Harris and John Harris the younger, Joan Reve, Alice Kirbie, George and Marie Vincen and Elizabeth Robins.  The residuary legatee and executor was Richard Harris..
 Sincerely, Marjorie Harris McLean
Interested in Harris Geneology

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for the Parents of John Percy Harris
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What evidence do you have that he was born in Essex.  Where did he marry Ann

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MLHarris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I found this Millinium file. I don't know what source creates it but i dont believe the death date is correct on it because of the probate date on the will:
Millennium File
about John Harris Name: John Harris
Birth Date: 1513
Birth Place: Hathreop, Gloucs, England
Death Date: 1554
Marriage Date: 1533
Spouse: Anne Annis
Children: William Harris; Alice Harris; John Harris

If it has one mistake it may have more

Offline MLHarris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I found this on a member connect at ancestory so i have no idea if its accurate. I can't acccess UK records   and i am on dial up  so it is a long, painful process for me, with no results in record finding.
 "Marraige 1533 in Hatherup, , Gloucestershire, England to  Anne Harris "

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the parents of John Percy harris . I believe he was born in Essex England in 1513 and died in Holtherop, Glouscestershire England in 1544. He was married to Anne Annis and had 4 children, Alice, William, John and Joan. I found his will and that of his wifes....but after months of searching i cannot find any proof of who his parents were and I would really appreciate any guidance as where else to look.  Following is the will as taken from Bethia:
JOHN HARRIS 1513-1554 .
John Harris, yeoman, of Hartherup, co. Gloucester, was born at least as early as 1513.  He married Anne or Annis _____, perhaps about the year 1533.  His will, dated October 22, 1533, and proved June 4, 1544, left the lease of the house in which he dwelt to his daughter Alice Winchcombe, and, if she should die before it expired, the remainder of the term was to belong to her daughter.  His two sons, WILLIAM (our direct ancester)and John Harris, received seventy-two acres of land occupied by William Carney, a sheep pasture and also ten sheep and a bullock apiece.  The residuary legatee and executrix was his wife Anne Harris, and John Sermon. Peter Fathers and John Chapleyn were named overseers.  The witnesses were John George, William Manne and John Sermon..
The will of Anne Harris, widow, of Hatherup, was made June 17, 1585, and proved Febuary 5, 1585/6.  She gave to her daughter Alice Winchkome (Winchcombe) a new gown, three sheets, etc., and made small personal gifts to (GRANDCHILDREN??) Anne, James, John, Thomas Winchkome & ALSO William Harris the younger, Anthony Harris and John Harris the younger, Joan Reve, Alice Kirbie, George and Marie Vincen and Elizabeth Robins.  The residuary legatee and executor was Richard Harris..
 Sincerely, Marjorie Harris McLean
 hi
 I found this on a tree in ancestry so you can use this for guidance only as I have no proof of its accuracy John Harris b 1513 died  4th June 1554 married  Anne Annys in Gloucester in 1553 Parents Arthur of Prittlewell Harris and Joan (Johanna) Percy who was born in 1505 in Pentworth Sussex and died in 1572 in Southminster  Is this where your Essex Connection comes from.  The tree says Arthur was Born in Rochford in 1475 and died in Mortimer in 1539 he was the son of William Harris and Elizabeth Jernagan  Remember this is just for guidance and info Hope it helps
Ronnie :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 15:48 GMT (UK) »

John Harris b 1513 died  4th June 1554 married  Anne Annys in Gloucester in 1553 
Parents Arthur of Prittlewell Harris and Joan (Johanna) Percy who was born in 1505 in Pentworth Sussex

That would make Joan 8 years old when she had John  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
He married Anne or Annis _____, perhaps about the year 1533.  His will, dated October 22, 1533, and proved June 4, 1544, left the lease of the house in which he dwelt to his daughter Alice Winchcombe, and, if she should die before it expired, the remainder of the term was to belong to her daughter.  His two sons, WILLIAM (our direct ancester)and John Harris,
The will of Anne Harris, widow, of Hatherup, was made June 17, 1585, and proved Febuary 5, 1585/6.  She gave to her daughter Alice Winchkome (Winchcombe) a new gown, three sheets, etc., and made small personal gifts to (GRANDCHILDREN??) Anne, James, John, Thomas Winchkome

Have you actually got a copy of the Will to check the dates, as they are not tying up.

If the Will was written in 1533, then on the dates you give he would be aged 20.

It is also the same year as the date given for a possible marriage.

Yet he is referring to 3 children, the sons being left land, and  possibly the daughter already married herself? Implying they are adult. No mention of it being left in trust until they are 21?

Also, if death date is 1554, Will could not have been proved in 1544!

And, again, even if the date it was written was not 1533, BUT if it was proved in 1544, and IF it relates to a man only born 1515ish, he is unlikely to have grown up children .

I think the Will, if the dates are correct, must relate to someone born a lot earlier than the person you are referring to, unless the dates you have for him are incorrect!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MLHarris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 December 13 06:36 GMT (UK) »
 Hello, First I want to thank everyone for helping me.  I live on a dirt road out in the country and am having to use Dial up which slows down my record finding a lot. Also, my ignorance as how to find records. I have spent many, many hours trying to find the original will for John Harris and his wife Ann Annis. The will info i have, i found on the internet.
   I have what i think are his childrens birth dates, so it does appear that they would have been Quite young in 1544.

*wife Anne Annis(1512-1585)
  *Children
Alice Harris1534 – 1585
William Harris1536 – 1599
John Harris1540 –
Joan Harris1541 –
 I have found out on Ancestory that quite a few trees list him as the son Of Arthur Harris, but i cannot find any proof. I found Arthur in the Visitations of Essex but it only lists one son, William. I dont know if that record is complete but its why I am trying to verify my information. I was hoping to find a birth record or such for John,....anything that would list his parents.  I have Ancestory.com in the USA but it won't let me look at any probate or other records of any kind someone uses for a reference if it is listed in the UK. They want an extra subscription fee for that privilege. So, I try to trace the record down on line without usually much success.  One UK probate record was listed on ancestory as a record for John but i could not access it. It did give me the following info, however I have no idea if it is correctly for him:
 GLOUCESTERSHIRE PROBATE RECORDs
UK, Extracted Probate Records, 1269-1975
about Harris, John
Name: Harris, John
Place: Hatherop, Gloucestershire, England
Book: Burialls 1604. (Burial) 
Collection: Gloucestershire: - Calendar of Wills, Court of Bishop of Gloucester, 1541-1650
Volume: Calendar of Gloucestershire Wills.
Chapter: 1623.
Text: Harris, John, Hatherop

When i tried to find it all i could find is this...and again, i don't know if it is him or how to access the record:An index for
WILLS 1541 - 1545

Complete Documents can be seen on L.D.S. Film #0091371 obtainable at your local L.D.S. Family History Library.

~~~~~~~~

HARRIS, John - Quedgeley 1544
HARRIS, John - of Quedgeley.
Probate Gloucester 1544. Researched from LDS Film #0091371.
[Wills abstracted by Leslie Mahler in 1998: Gloucester 1541-1545]

I don't know if this is the same John

Again, Thank you for all of your Help. I wouldn't ask if i knew where else to turn.
Marjorie

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 December 13 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I have spent many, many hours trying to find the original will for John Harris and his wife Ann Annis. The will info i have, i found on the internet.

Hi Marjorie, Gloucestershire Wills can be ordered from the Gloucestershire Records office

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/article/107703/Archives-Homepage

They have an online Wills Index here

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx

which lists the will of John HARRIS of Hatherop d.1544 and his son William HARRIS d. 1599

1554   harrys   john   M   hatherop   1554/ 48d.
 1599   harris   william   M   hatherop   1599/155   husbandman

William had a large family including at least William, Anthony, John, Thomas, Edmund, William (?), Robert and a daughter that married someone called John ILES.