Author Topic: trying to work out hearth tax - shibden hall HALIFAX  (Read 4477 times)

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
trying to work out hearth tax - shibden hall HALIFAX
« on: Saturday 14 December 13 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm trying to find out what the hearth tax was for Shibden Hall. I've located a website which has all this information listed, but the only property I can find says "Mr John Lister, of Ovenden, 10"
Does anybody know if this will be Shibden Hall or not? I'm not a native of the area, but it doesn't look to me as though Shibden Hall is at Ovenden! I'm confused! Any help gratefully received!
http://www.hearthtax.org.uk/communities/westriding/w_yorks_transcript.pdf

If this ISN'T Shibden Hall, then can somebody point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: trying to work out hearth tax - shibden hall HALIFAX
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 December 13 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi jackski,
Shibden Hall was owned by John Lister father of Anne who was the only child. (she wrote a book - I Know My Own Heart: The Diaries of Anne Lister, 1791-1840, which is still available and was recently televised). However, the John you are looking for would have been her g grandfather or earlier. Ovenden is a district close to Shibden Hall.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 December 13 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. So would this listing be for Shibden Hall itself or for another property owned by the same man?

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 December 13 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Short answer, sorry I'm not sure.
Have a look at this visitors guide for Shibden Hall

http://calderdale.gov.uk/wtw/search/controlservlet?PageId=Zoom&DocId=101712&PageNo=10

(lots of info about Shibden Hall on here. there is lots more on Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion web site)

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/

It would seem from the visitors booklet, that the Hall was in the hands of Thomas Lister in the mid 1600's. Shibden Hall is in Southowram (often abbreviated to S'owram and such) but might have been in Lightcliffe or Northowram back then.
A Thomas Lister is listed as living South Owram in the hearth tax pdf.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 December 13 17:09 GMT (UK) »
A quick bit of Google research tells me that Thomas Lister of Shibden Hall died in 1677, therefore  Thomas Lister of Southowram would be the person occupying Shibden Hall at the time of the 1672 Hearth Tax.

John Lister of Ovenden was probably his brother, married to his wife's sister, and presumably occupying another house belonging to the estate. The Listers acquired the Shibden Hall estate through these marriages to the Hemingway sisters, wards of their father Samuel Lister.
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 December 13 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Staff / Records at Halifax library will probably be very helpful, it's the nearest records place. Worth giving them a ring or an e-mail?
The Listers seem to have been connected with Shibden Hall for a lot of its history - but like many other wealthy families in the area, had more than one property. I think Ann Lister may have been the last one to actually live there. .... wasn't there some television programme about her a year or so back?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 December 13 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, everybody, for your input. It has been most helpful and I think I've found what I needed now. Much appreciated!

Offline Anji15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm trying to find out what connection my gggrandad had to Michael stocks shibden hall he was left stumpcross in his will thanks anji

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
It is confusing.Not helped by there being three Shibden Halls. There is the one near Stump Cross then there are or were Upper and Lower Shibden Halls near to Catherine Slack. I think that Upper Shibden Hall may also be known as Old Shibden Hall.

I can recommend Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion website which may help http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.