Author Topic: trying to work out hearth tax - shibden hall HALIFAX  (Read 4480 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: trying to work out hearth tax - shibden hall HALIFAX
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 December 22 16:34 GMT (UK) »
A lot of folk from that area were buried at St Matthew's Lightcliffe (including Ann Walker), so it might also be worth looking at the burial records and family stories compiled by the Friends of the churchyard:

https://www.lightcliffechurchyard.org.uk/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 08:38 GMT (UK) »
May I make a correction to Stu's earlier reply?  The

ROOTSWEB

link is to a very old and out-of-date version of my Calderdale Companion.  For a couple of years, the website has been at

calderdalecompanion.co.uk/

Malcolm Bull
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 09:35 GMT (UK) »
.... and a wonderful site it is, too!
I'm always praising the information on there ... but it's quite easy to become "lost" in a lovely way, on there, as one item draws you on to another, and you forget what you first came on there to find.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)