Author Topic: Thomas and John Layton in Ontario - Where's John ?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas and John Layton in Ontario - Where's John ?
« on: Tuesday 17 December 13 18:12 GMT (UK) »
With the previous help of the good people on this site I think I am closer to establishing Thomas Layton (1816) and his family, Thomas emigrating to Ontario with his brothers around 1833.
Though one question please about Thomas.      From someone else's FT I have that he married Emma Farley in 1846 in Toronto but I have not been able to find this marriage entry and I wonder if it gives his parents, to establish it is who I want it to be ?!

Now John Layton (1812) (All 4 brothers born in Mathon, Worc. England) I cannot find.   Again on this other FT they have that he died in 1857 in Caer Howell Hotel, Toronto (his brother Henry owned this hotel and it is where he also died)   Again I have not been able to find this death entry, and if I could, it might give his parents ?    There are possible glimpses of John's family, where there is a marriage giving John and Jane Layton as parents and on census entries this couple living with or near to known Laytons belonging to the other brothers, but nothing much else really.

Anyone able to help me again ?
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and John Layton in Ontario - Where's John ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to the record for Thomas' marriage, with the source. It is from the Ontario Vital Statistics Project website (free).  Scroll down to 1846. You may be able to use the church info to find other info from church archives if there is more in the original parish record. I don't know whether the actual record would have any more info than the transcript, however, but the church or church archive might (see below).

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/old5.htm

The church, St James Cathedral, is still a working parish church. You could try contacting them about the whereabouts of the old parish records (I believe there is an Anglican church archive but don't know anything about it). Look for the term 'email' at this link and click on it .... you will get an email addy.

http://www.stjamescathedral.on.ca/Contact/tabid/65/Default.aspx

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi LaytonLily:

This is not about Thomas or John but is a reference from an 1885 history of Toronto that mentions Henry Layton and the Caer Howell Hotel:

History of Toronto and County of York, Ontario by Charles Pelham Mulvany, Graeme Mercer Adam, page 479:

"H.U. Layton, proprietor of the "Caer Howell Hotel," was born in the building in which he still resides, his father, the late Henry Layton, having been proprietor from 1844 until the time of his death. The house is well-known and popular as a summer resort. Mr. Layton married in 1878, his wife being Florence Jane Mitchell.

Wondered if it would help at all.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 December 13 05:00 GMT (UK) »
From the site that polarbear gave you...in which it has the entry she found for you: "9 April, 1846, by license, Thomas LAYTON, of the city of Toronto, bachelor, and Emma FARLEY, of the same place, spinster."

There is also this misspelled entry for Henry
"20 March, 1844, by license, Henry LAXTON, of Caer Howell, in the liberties of the city of Toronto, bachelor, and Jane FARLEY, of Yonge street, in the liberties of the said city, spinster."
Perhaps these were sisters.  I noted that the aforementioned tree has her name as Jane Frank.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 December 13 05:14 GMT (UK) »
and Henry Unett Layton ( the one born 1844/1846) .appears to have been the son of John, not Henry ... unless the death informant was misstaken  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J6P1-B5Y

1901 shows him born Sept. 23rd 1845, Says Henry W rather than Henry U. but occ. Hotelkeeper, Sept. birth, & wife F. jane  http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=73554&highlight=46
His son's name also Henry Unett.... https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/278G-BR4

Might this be Henry Jr. as Unett in 1871, and who are William & Amelia... siblings? 
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M43R-XTP

BTW are we covering new ground or should this have been asked on an existing thread?
I am asking because resources and time are often duplicated when several threads are posted on the same subjects.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 January 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the replies to this request.  I have only just seen them.  I did not get e-mail notifications on them.   I will look more closely into the information supplied.     I also found a reference to Caer Howell Hotel and it's owner, Henry Layton  :

In 1837, Henry Layton bought the Powells' country home and converted it into an elaborate Club, with bowling greens and racket courts. Caer Howell later became a hotel and tavern, frequented by high spirited varsity students. The property degenerated, and the building was demolished in 1915. Mount Sinai Hospital stands on the site today.

I also found a number of photographs of the hotel - which was exciting !  -  one of which I will post here in case it is of interest to others.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA