Author Topic: Symmonds of Brecon  (Read 5217 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Symmonds of Brecon
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 23:02 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 census is 4035  6   8,transcribed as Tremlow on FindMyPast in Bradford Road,Manchester.Elizabeth is given as Brecon,Breconshire.

Regards
Roger

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 December 13 10:58 GMT (UK) »
the marriage at much cowarne will be at Hereford archives,   they are closed until late in 2014 :'( :'( :'(. but it is a matter of chance if the parents names are recorded.

I did a search on familysearch for any Elizabeth born in Brecon 1810-1830, there are lots of them and many at St Marys Brecon, so it seems familysearch have the Brecon records transcribed.

Curzon st was a very smart place in 1851, Disraeli lived the along with other nobility, do we know the family she worked for.

I think the fact that they turn up in Hereford in 1861 suggests she may have Hereford connections,
although Bewell Street in 1861 has been described as less than desirable, to put it mildly, although I have local knowledge I have no access to other than free resources.

Symonds  (with a Y) was a well known name in herefordshire, we have a Symonds Street, and the tourist centre of Symonds Yat was supposedly named after a High Sherrif of Herefordshire in the early 1700's

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 December 13 14:48 GMT (UK) »
1851 Westminster, St Geo H Sq, 34 Curzon Street
Edmund Holland 33 Solicitor
Fanny do, sister 24
Caroline do, do 29
John ?Freeman, servt 25 Footman
Fanny ?Dutton, do 29 Cook
Elizabeth Simmonds, servt 27 House Maid born South Wales Brecon

I see that I put Mary Ann aged c15 in 1841.  Actually the census gives her age as "Ten" (should not be rounded) so she should be a younger sister of Elizabeth b. 1830-31.

My mother said that her grandmother Catherine and the family believed they were related to the Symonds family that gave its name to Symonds Yat.  Even if not true, it suggests a Herefordshire ancestry.

Thanks for the advice and local knowledge! It may be I won't get much further at present.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will: