Author Topic: Henry James COCHRANE & Mary WATSON - Bairnsdale region Victoria  (Read 15714 times)

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry James COCHRANE & Mary WATSON - Bairnsdale region Victoria
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 09 February 14 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - are you saying that she was born in Bruthen? Her birth certificate says Omeo but I guess she made an error when she filled out the details?

I took that as where he was born?  I also have she was born in Omeo.  Bruthen is not far from Omeo, Between Bairnsdale and Omeo.

Offline Oscella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 10 February 14 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both for the extra information. Judith, do you have a Cochrane connection?

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 10 February 14 11:40 GMT (UK) »
No, Oscella, I'm not related to the Cochranes at all.  As with many of the R'chat regulars I just enjoy the research and piecing together the pointers to the lives of our forebears.  My husband is of the opinion that it's a bit sad  ::)

It's a good hobby and I enjoy it immensely  ;D

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 10 February 14 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I was finally able to download Anastasia's death cert.

It says she died as a Cochrane, that she married Percival when 21 in Omeo, and that there was another child Percival between Sarah & Elizabeth who was deceased when she died.

I can't find a birth or death for him, nor for the "marriage".

Offline Oscella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 10 February 14 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Does it say who was the informant? It sounds really sanitised for the purpose of history..

Does it mention the children with her other two partners?

She certainly did not marry Percival before Sarah's birth in 1879. The birth certificate  has an unusual annotation under the father's name "Entered by request" very much confirming the unmarried status - which is also clearly stated.

Another child - that  would fit. Maybe he died and the paperwork never got done.

I am wondering if the fact that Henry James Cochranes wife was reported as Mary Watson was a complete error - Perhaps Elizabeth Cochrane died in Northumberland and Henry decided to join his brothers in Australia. That would explain why the family suddenly stopped at two and there seems to have been no wife in Australia. And the information got lost in the mists of time. Once again, who was the informant on the certificate at John's death?

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 10 February 14 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't put much stead in the marriage to old Percy either.  I can't find what happened to her "first husband" Michael Kelly - there are too many to know which one it is.  But if he didn't die, then she would have still been married to him.

She died at 50 Exhibition st, so must have been living with her daughters.  The informant is listed as an authorised agent.  The information must have been given by the daughters so maybe they thought she had married Percy or maybe they did just sanitise her history?

It lists her children as the three with Percy and Catherine that she had with Jack Dow in 1873.

She and the 2 daughters are buried at New Cheltenham Cemetery.  I have paid to join their site so that I can see the listing and whether they have headstones, photos or inscriptions.  I am waiting for them to send me my log in details. If I find anything from them, I'll let you know!

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 06:51 GMT (UK) »
I was finally able to download Anastasia's death cert.

It says she died as a Cochrane, that she married Percival when 21 in Omeo, and that there was another child Percival between Sarah & Elizabeth who was deceased when she died.

I can't find a birth or death for him, nor for the "marriage".

Hi all,
Can't get over the input from everyone. After a couple of days going a little "Cochrane Crazy", have just about confirmed all who came to Australia. I found a Percival (Junior) you mention here, Death at Orbost Age 56 # 18684 Birth abt 1881, Father Percival Cochrane, Mother Anastasia Murphy.
Two siblings with details Sarah Jane born Omeo 1879, & Elizabeth born 1885 Mittagong, plus two with unconfirmed details, ( per a census only ) Ellen 1909 residence Bruthen, Gippsland, Victoria, Australia : Occupation School Teacher, and Catherine 1909 Bruthen, Gippsland, Victoria.

Will be posting a link to my ancestry.com Cochrane updates in the next day or so, and will be more than pleased for anyone to utilise any info and newspaper scans.

Thanks to everyone again - so pleased have filled many Cochrane gaps so far.
Mixo
( very smokey ) West Gippsland Victoria
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline Oscella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Can I contact you offline, Mixo? I have just about written up a history of this Cochrane family though I need to update some recent additions(!)
Interested in photos if you have any of Henry and his sons or any other info...

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Can I contact you offline, Mixo? I have just about written up a history of this Cochrane family though I need to update some recent additions(!)
Interested in photos if you have any of Henry and his sons or any other info...

Hi Oscella,

Your writeup on these Cochranes sounds great. I am sorry but I don't have any personal photos, however am looking into some gold mining share records and newspaper cuttings, that may be of interest.

My interest in the Cochranes has recently been rekindled, as I am writing a brief overview of a number of family relations, ( mainly Richardson, Calvert, Coulson, Liddell, Hewitson, Lee, Broadwood, Allison, and Vipond ), who were lead ore miners from around Alston and Allendale in the UK, came here for the Victorian gold rush, and for some unknown reason, most settled near Bairnsdale in East Gippsland.

This is where one of many great grand aunts Elizabeth Richardson spent a lot of her married life with Robert Cochrane, so followed my hunch some of the other Cochranes may have miners too.

It appears Hugh Talyor Cochrane had some success on the goldfields close to his home here at Linton in 1860, per attached, Percival died in a mining accident, and still investigating a few others.

Also would really appreciate if you have any records on Robert Cochrane born Bamburgh 1821. He seems to have become untracable after UK census of 1841. Their father Robert senior died about 1849, and four other brothers stayed together by 1851 census, but have lost track of him after that time frame.

Regards
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/