Author Topic: UPGRADE OF ROOTSCHAT JULY 2004  (Read 3414 times)

BFH

UPGRADE OF ROOTSCHAT JULY 2004
« on: Tuesday 13 July 04 12:58 BST (UK) »
I have an email telling me about an upgrade and giving me a new username.

I have tried to use that new name - but am told it's unheard of.

I have had no response to my appeals for help - for some weeks - when previously I often got a quick response from this very helpful site.

Can anyone tell me what is happening please?

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
Re: UPGRADE OF ROOTSCHAT JULY 2004
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 13:09 BST (UK) »
since the upgrade, which is nicer for some features, i cant find my NOTIFY button.  ???
am i thick or what?

sorry,BFH, i cant answer your question, i must admit i havent received such an email myself.
maybe Trystan will give us a call and explain.

jaq

ps maybe this should have been posted in common room, but i'm sure he will find it ;)
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 17:55 BST (UK) »
The reason why the user BFH has not received a reposnse from RootsChat is, I'm afraid because no email was sent from his registered email address - in fact, we have not received an email with the username mentioned either (BFH). So, I'm afraid the "appeals of help" have gone somewhere else, not to w e b m a s t e r at r o o t s c h a t . c o . u k. If you let us know what problems that you are having then we would be very happy to try and help you sort them out.

As people would vouch for we do endeavour to respond to all emails where possible, and in a timely manner. I also take a very keen view to ensure that despite sometimes unusual configurations of people's computers, we work through with them to get them online.

An email was sent to all users telling them that the site was already upgraded - however the usernames that were sent out were incorrect (a glitch which is a mistake of mine I'm sorry) - but and no point did we suggest that users should change their usernames, but if the email was confusing then I can only apologise again.

The site has gone through a massive overhaul last week, and as a result a great deal more people will have access to RootsChat now for technical reasons - including people who surf with their TV, and even with WAP/GPRS phones!! (handy for grave yard transciptions?!) The biggest change has been the massive speed inc rease for everybody, and also much more compact layout.

Regards,

Trystan
RootsChat Admin
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 18:09 BST (UK) »
thanks for that,Trystan and i do appreciate the speedier loading and the compact size. ::)

i still cant find my NOTIFY  button   ??? i have looked, honest.

jaq

:-[  Did you notice the spelling / word mistake?  :-[    Verify was of course meant to be NOTIFY......hands up, i slipped up, sorry
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jaq,  ;)

The notify button is now under your "PROFILE" - if you look you will see "Notifications & Email".

Did you know now you can be notified if somebody posts on a board you choose to watch? Just click on the big "notify" button on the index of the board you want.

Have fun,
Trystan
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

BFH

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 11:58 BST (UK) »
The reason why the user BFH has not received a reposnse from RootsChat is, I'm afraid because no email was sent from his registered email address - in fact, we have not received an email with the username mentioned either (BFH). So, I'm afraid the "appeals of help" have gone somewhere else, not to w e b m a s t e r at r o o t s c h a t . c o . u k. If you let us know what problems that you are having then we would be very happy to try and help you sort them out.

As people would vouch for we do endeavour to respond to all emails where possible, and in a timely manner. I also take a very keen view to ensure that despite sometimes unusual configurations of people's computers, we work through with them to get them online.

n email was sent to all users telling them that the site was already upgraded - however the usernames that were sent out were incorrect (a glitch which is a mistake of mine I'm sorry) - but and no point did we suggest that users should change their usernames, but if the email was confusing then I can only apologise again.

The site has gone through a massive overhaul last week, and as a result a great deal more people will have access to RootsChat now for technical reasons - including people who surf with their TV, and even with WAP/GPRS phones!! (handy for grave yard transciptions?!) The biggest change has been the massive speed inc rease for everybody, and also much more compact layout.

Regards,

Trystan
RootsChat Admin

You say my 'appeals for help' must have gone elsewhere - yet I can see they have been posted.

Have had several emails from you since. You talk about maye forgetting password .. so maybe if I explain I get throught to you without having to enter a username or password.

if it would help - tell me how to unsubscribe and you can clear me off your list.  I will start again.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 12:07 BST (UK) »
BFH,

By some quirk of technology then your emails were not received.  :'(
Which tallies again with our endeavor to help people, and your surprise for not getting help.
You don't need to change your username. If you are logging in without having to type an username or a password, then that's great - RootsChat is "remembering" you, to log you in automatically.

So all in all, nothing to worry about!

Trystan
RootsChat Admin