Author Topic: baptism SHEPHERD Susannah - 1775 St Ippollitis, Flamstead or Bennington please  (Read 1558 times)

Offline julesdoopydoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susannah Shepherd married William Catlin, of Yardley, in Bennington on 3 June 1793.  Marriage cert says she is a minor and "a pauper and without father or mother - inhabitant of Bennington", she married with the consent of Robert Gaunt, overseer of Bennington.  There also appears to have been a £200 surety given John Hodgson - the vicar??   Anyway, I cannot find who her parents are although other researchers offer the baptism record on 26 Sep 1775 at St Ippollitis which I know is near Bennington.  There is also another possibility of a baptism at Flamstead on 22 Nov 1778 or one at St Andrew Middlesex on 24 Dec 1775 - seems a bit more unlikely though.    Any help or suggestions gratefully received.         Happy Christmas to you all!!   :-*

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: baptism SHEPHERD Susannah - 1775 St Ippollitis, Flamstead or Bennington please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 December 13 12:59 GMT (UK) »
If you find more than onepossible baptism, I am not sure how you will know which is hers.

I think the best way forward would be to see what overseers records ( if any) have survived, to see if they give any clue as to why, how and when she came into the care of the overseeers. Presumably in the workhouse - there may be admission records  that might indicate her parents names.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julesdoopydoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: baptism SHEPHERD Susannah - 1775 St Ippollitis, Flamstead or Bennington please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 December 13 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you lizdb  yes you're right but I was hoping someone might have that tiny bit of elusive information I'm seeking!!  I have trawled the internet for Robert Gaunt, overseer records for Benington et al.  HALS do not have a record for Susannah in any of the three parishes I've mentioned, nor does FindMyPast, although they have two possibles, Little Hadham 1768 and Abbott's Langley 1766, but either would make her over 21 in 1793.  I'm wondering if she is in fact from Herts at all - I believe pauper children could be shunted to another parish as an "apprentice".

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 December 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
That sort of record arent usually online. You will need to visit,  phone or email, the relevant Record Office.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/leisculture/heritage1/hals/
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 December 13 15:18 GMT (UK) »
, but either would make her over 21 in 1793. 

As a minor at her marriage she would be under 21 in 1793!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex