Author Topic: Immigant Leavitt's - Holand  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Rosiedim

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Immigant Leavitt's - Holand
« on: Tuesday 13 July 04 13:52 BST (UK) »
John M Leavitt born 11/11/1870 died 29/01/1943.  His marriage certificate says his father's name was Morsite but I'm sure that's a transcription error.  Grandad didn't speak very good English, or maybe didn't even write very good English!  He was a Master tailor and had several tailor's shops in York.  He lists his father as a master tailor also.  He seems to have had some connection with Manchester, think the family may have moved there prior to going to USA.  During the war the family received parcels from relatives in Canada.  Lists his birthplace on 1901 census as Holand! Not much to go on I'm afraid but if anyone has any ideas on where I could go from here I would be so grateful.

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Immigant Leavitt's - Holand
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie
           I think we may be able to help if you can further explain some of your details
           First you seem to have a definate date for John's birth, where is this date from is it a birth certificate ??
           Secondly where did he Marry and who ??
           If the family came to England from Holland do you know when ??

regards

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Rosiedim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 20:21 BST (UK) »
Wow any hep would be great.  Haven't got John's birth certificate but all the family knew his birthday as it was same as my Mum's and Remembrance Day!  He died on 29th January 1943 in York.  I am not sure it is Holland that he came from.  Have tried and tried to work out the enumerators writing on 1901 census and Holand with one L is the closest I can get.  His family in Canada sent many parcels during the war.  Clothes for the grandchildren and material for Grandad to work with - he was a tailor.  The nearest anyone can remember is that they came from somewhere like Kittibet, Saskatchewan but that is probably just phonetic!!  John lists his father as Morsite, but again I only have a transcribed marriage cert. and it could be Morris or Morritz or anything!  His middle name was Marsden or Marston.  He definitely spoke with an accent and the family thought he may be Jewish but he was married in a Church of England Church.  He married Jane Smithson in York in 1895.  Haven't a clue when he came to Britain but must have been sometime in early 1890's.  Thanks for your time, this recent piece of the jigsaw is such a large piece can't get round it!!  Thanks - Di

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 09:45 BST (UK) »
Di,

You say his father's name might be Morris - have you seen the following reference to a Maurice Leavitt on the 1901 census?

Maurice Leavitt, age 59, born Russia (Russian subject), no census place listed, census county Lancaster, occupation tailor, and in the same household Rose Leavitt, age 49, born Russia (Russian subject).

Did his father come to this country too?

Sasha.

Offline Rosiedim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your reply.  I found those Leavitt's and assumed they must be part of the family.  However, I don't know if his immediate family ever came to Britain - in fact, let's face it, I don't know anything!  Only that in 1901 he was married to my Gran and living in Bishopthorpe, listing his place of birth as Holand.  That's not Russia, but then I could be mistranslating it and it may be a place in Russia.  Ah hum if only I had asked more questions when there were people who would know!  Thanks - Di

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Di
        I have searched the Leavitt births for 1870-1872 in England and there is non for a John Leavitt, so it looks as if Holland ( see scan ) and the little english spoken with an accent seems to point to him being born outside UK.
  You also mention his family in Kittebet Saskatchewan Canada. There is a Kerrobert in Saskatchewan this link will show you how to access records in that county.

http://www.saskarchives.com/web/services-pub-family.html

Hopefully you may gain valuable info as to the families origins from thier census records.
 There is a ref in Kelly,s 1913 directory of York showing John Leavitt tailor 6 Station Court/Street York.
  There are no census records for him apart from the 1901 census.

good luck with your search

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Rosiedim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter, thanks so much for your time.  At least I know he wasn't in UK so it's a start!  Cheers - Di