Author Topic: Antwerpen immigration police data help  (Read 587 times)

Offline monke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jesus is The King
    • View Profile
Antwerpen immigration police data help
« on: Thursday 26 December 13 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

i'm looking for this person. He came to Ellis Island and there is ship data but on that data i cant read properly his place of Birth and Matrovice doesnt exist. So i must find some other document of him.

I ve been searching in Antwerpen Police Immigration records in familysearch website because he came to New York from Antwerpen port. I have a hard time.. Can somebody please help me find him in that records

Given Name:    Pero
Surname:    Misur
Last Place of Residence:    Matrovica, Hungary
Event Date:    28 Nov 1907
Nationality:    Hungary Croation
Departure Port:    Antwerp
Arrival Port:    New York
Marital Status:    M
Citizenship Status:    
Ship Name:    Merion

Thank you in advance

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Antwerpen immigration police data help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 December 13 18:05 GMT (UK) »
There have been many border changes since your ancestor left his homeland and you can see from this passage that the town had several different nationalities.  Hungarians called it simply "Matrovica"

<<In Serbian, the town is known as Сремска Митровица or Sremska Mitrovica, in Rusyn as Сримска Митровица, in Croatian as Srijemska Mitrovica, in Hungarian as Szávaszentdemeter or Mitrovica, in German as Syrmisch Mitrowitz, in Latin as Sirmium, and in Turkish as Dimitrofça.

With the abolition of the Slavonian Military Frontier in 1881, Sremska Mitrovica was included into Syrmia County, which was part of the Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia and Kingdom of Hungary within Austria-Hungary. According to the 1910 census, the population of the city numbered 12,909 people, of which 4,878 spoke Serbian language, 3,915 Croatian, and 2,341 German. The municipal area of the city (which did not included the city itself) had 32,012 inhabitants, of which 27,022 spoke Serbian, 2,324 German, and 1,071 Croatian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sremska_Mitrovica
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Antwerpen immigration police data help
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 December 13 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Antwerp was a very busy port and the police records you've mentioned do not seem to cover everyone who left from Antwerp but only those living there before leaving.
"Files kept by the Antwerp City Police on foreign nationals residing in the city."
To test this I did searches for my relatives from Germany that travelled from Antwerp to New York and found none.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!