Author Topic: Scarborough, Bts  (Read 4126 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Scarborough, Bts
« on: Sunday 19 June 05 13:29 BST (UK) »
I've found a lot of people I've been looking for in Scarborough on the IGI, but something puzzles me.  Quite a few of them give the place as "Scarborough, Bts., Yorkshire".  What does the Bts mean?
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: Scarborough, Bts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
By the see..........just a thought  8)

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 05 14:54 BST (UK) »
sorry of course i meant Sea

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 'Tricia

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edith Gent Bowskill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 05 15:05 BST (UK) »
Bishop's Transcripts.

Don't ask me anymore - that's all I know :'(

Tricia
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Nottinghamshire,Bulwell: Bowskill, Everley, Gent, Haywood, Houghton, Wilkinson.
Nottinghamshire, Mansfield:- Baxter
Buckinghamshire: Charlesworth, Fowler
Derbyshire:Brimington:- Adams, Baxter
London: Bird, Charlesworth, Coleman, Desmoulins, Everard, Jarman, Quinton, Richards
Italy: Gioffredi

Offline sisfidy58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 23 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi! 

Newbie here, but not to Genealogy.  I've been working on my North Riding ancestors, and now understand why there are multiple place names.  Firstly, York is the ONLY English county that is divided into "Ridings" because it is the largest county by far.  Divisions (largest to smallest) are County, (Riding, if included), Wapentake, Parish (Civil parish, not religious parish.) and then Town.  SOMETIMES if the Wapentake and town are the same (Pickering, for example) it may read Pickering, Pickering, Pickering-Lythe, (sometimes includes North Riding), York.  The Town and Parish are the same, and the Wapentake is Pickering-Lythe, the county being York.  More modern listings are less likely to include the Riding, and will read "York" rather than "Yorkshire".

That doesn't do anything towards explaining what Bts. stands for, but if I figure it out, I'll post here.

Sisfidy58

Offline sisfidy58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 October 23 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi -- Newbie again.

I forgot to include Township in the Civil Divisions!!  The Civil Divisions of English Counties were revised several times -- my guess is that it was done as population increased, and the Civil authorities needed more specific ways of locating/taxing people.

So Scarborough would be broken down by York County (or "Yorkshire"), Pickering-Lythe "Liberty" (which I take to be the same thing as "Pickering-Lythe Wapentake"), Scarborough Parish, Scarborough Burough, and Scarborough or Falsgrave Township (there are 2 townships in Scarborough Parish).  So, as genealogists, if your ancestor lived in Scarborough, they MAY be (smallest to largest) in Falsgrave Twp, Scarborough (Parish), Pickering-Lythe, York, OR Scarborough Twp, Scarborough (Parish), Pickering-Lythe, York, OR (if they actually live in the Borough (Town) of Scarborough, it may be Scarborough (Borough/Town), Scarborough (Parish), Pickering-Lythe, York.  No wonder that we Americans get confused. Sorry for the confusion over my omission!  Sisfidy58

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 November 23 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Since the source of Bts (or was it BTS) was the IGI maybe the meaning is not to do with the place but that the person had been baptised into the church of LDS.
This “baptism” is recent and has nothing to do with the actual religious belief of the person.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 November 23 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Wapentake, from Old Norse vápnatak, an administrative division of the English counties of York, Lincoln, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, and Rutland, first clearly referred to in 962/963 and corresponding to the “hundred” in other parts of England. The term wapentake is of Scandinavian origin and meant the taking of weapons; it later signified the clash of arms by which the people assembled in a local court expressed assent. Danish influence was strong in those English counties where wapentakes existed.

The word Riding is derived from a Danish word 'thridding', meaning a third. The invading Danes called representatives from each Thridding to a thing, or parliament and established the Ridings System.

There is a list of parishes in the wapentake of Pickering-Lythe here:
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/north/vol2/pp418-420

The wapentake of Dic seems to have been divided into two portions corresponding for the most part with the later east and west wards of the forest of Pickering, wards which in their turn appear to correspond with the respective sokes of the royal 'manors' of Falsgrave and Pickering. In 1086 part of the soke of the 'manor' of Falsgrave lay in Filey and Gristhorpe; this was, perhaps, in what was afterwards Lebberston and Gristhorpe, for both these townships of Filey parish have remained in this wapentake, while Filey itself as early as 1284–5 (fn. 7) was in the East Riding and wapentake of Dickering. Falsgrave probably included Scarborough in 1086, and the town and castle of Scarborough were 'within the boundes of Pickeringlith but freed from the same by charter.'
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)