Author Topic: Edward Jones, Madeley Baptisum.  (Read 3713 times)

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Jones, Madeley Baptisum.
« on: Saturday 28 December 13 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear Readers,

I'm trying to establish the parents of my G-G-Grandfather, Mr Edward Jones.
He married Mary Anne Fletcher nee Weston in Dudley, Worcester on the 02nd Feb 1858.
On the Certificate of this marriage both Mary Ann and Edward have put their parents as deceased, with no names given.
When I received this Certificate, as a witness to this marriage, there is a Ann Jones and Edwin Millman.
Could this be either his Mother or Sister?
Just 2yrs later in 1861 on the Census of Barrow-In-Furness, Lancashire, both Edward and Mary Ann have a William(from a previous marriage for Mary Ann)aged10yrs and their new baby "George Jones" aged 1yr.
On this Census Edward states he is 24yrs and born in Madeley, Shropshire, while Mary Ann is 30yrs born in Wellington, Shropshire.
By 1864 a son Edward is born to this family, BUT he is born in Madeley, Shropshire, like his Father.
All my family are Catholics.
Can any one help me with Baptism Records for Madeley Shropshire?
I have tried on a couple of occasions, but have got absolutely, no where.
I believe Edward(sen)would have been baptised at Madeley between 1834-1838 and his mother may have been Ann Jones or he would have had a sister called Ann.
I also believe that Edward(jun) would have been baptised at the same church around 1864, give or take a year or so.
Could any one help me find the baptism records for these two members of my family and help me, with some certainty, to establish the parents of Edward(senior) born approximately 1837?
Any information or guidance will be gratefully received.
Many good wishes to all,
                                        Regards Cinny22

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jones, Madeley Baptisum.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 December 13 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out Edward Jones bap Madeley Dec Quarter 1837 or Edward Thomas Jones bap Madeley June Quarter 1838? Or even Edward Jones bap Madeley June Quarter 1839? There are a couple of Ann Jones that were baptised in Madeley too - Sep 1837 and Sep 1838.

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 December 13 12:37 GMT (UK) »
EDWARD Jones Christened 21 Nov 1837, Madeley to EDWARD/ANN Jones
EDWARD THOMAS Jones Christened 04 July 1838, Madeley Wood Wesleyan to EDWARD THOMAS/MARY ANN Jones
EDWARD Jones Christened 30 Sept 1838, St. Mary Virgin Church, Shrewsbury, Shropshire to EDWARD/ANNE Jones
EDWARD Jones Christened 19 May 1838, St. Mary's, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, MARTHA Jones
(Source Familysearch.Org)

I googled Catholic Churches in Madeley;
from Wiki;
There are three churches in the centre of Madeley: St. Michael's, a Church of England church, which was designed in its present form by Thomas Telford;[16] Madeley Baptist Church; and St. Mary's Roman Catholic church, part of the Diocese of Shrewsbury.[17][18] The Fletcher Methodist Centre can be found in the town, and on the Tweedale Industrial Estate near Madeley is the Springfield Christian Fellowship.[18]

So was he Christened in Shrewsbury to Martha?
You would need to check out what denomination the other Churches I mentioned above are.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 13 12:49 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census has a Edward Jones born c 1836 Shrewsbury, Nephew, Apprentice Blacksmith, living in with Uncle/Aunt;
Edward Jones, Blacksmith, born c 1801 Sharsbury, Shropshire
Mary Jones born c 1798 Elmore, Shropshire
They are in Dudley, Worcestershire, where he Married in 1858
HO107/2032/5/2

I will try and trace Edward/Mary.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)