Author Topic: Gypsy Traveller family Taylor 16 year slog  (Read 8783 times)

Offline Shieldslad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gypsy Traveller family Taylor 16 year slog
« on: Saturday 28 December 13 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a Henry Taylor born abt 1838-1847 in UK or Ireland his woman Ann Geraghty born 1847 Co Westmeath Ireland. Henry was a Tin Plate Worker (could be either profession, foundry or Tinker).

All I have is his name mentioned in 1880 Warrington workhouse birth wife of The Legend of the
Romani Cymreig / Welsh Romani

The Romanichal and the Kale

Among the Gypsies entering the south of Britain during the 15th-17th centuries were two main groups, the Romanichal and the Kale.  The Kale, who became the Welsh Gypsies, probably came from Spain, through France and landed in Cornwall, eventually making their way to Wales.

The two groups spoke different dialects.  By the end of the 19th century the pure form used by the Romanichal had died out.  It had mutated into a pidgin language, mixing Romani with English grammar and words, and this became the speech of Gypsies in England and South Wales.  However, in North Wales the authentic dialect of the Kale was kept intact by the Wood family and was spoken at least until the 1950s.  About 60% of this Welsh Romani consisted of Sanskrit (Indian) words; the remaining 40% harboured such tongues as Arabic, Iranian, Greek, Romanian, German, French, English and Welsh!

Tribal names
When Gypsies moved to a new region of Britain they often took on the family names of local (non-Gypsy) residents, hoping to gain protection against racial attack, or they might choose a name closest to their own in meaning.  Henceforth, they would use one name among themselves and the other to non-Romanies.  Some such borrowed surnames are Boswell, Buckland, Burton, Cooper, Gray, Heron, Ingram, Lee, Lovell, Smith, Stanley, Taylor, Wood and Young.  Each tribe was ruled over by a sero rom (headman) and would travel its own particular circuit within a wide area.

British Gypsies                   unKn
TRIBES
Ayre
Boswell
Brownhill
Forse

Forsyth
Heron, Hearne
Horgan, Organ
Lee
Lock, Locke
Lovell
Northam
Price
Roberts
Webber
Wood
GYPSY
SCHOLARS
George Borrow
Francis H Groome
John Sampson
Augustus John

Abram Wood playing his fiddle
A Davies, VStreamİ
Romani CymruRomany Wales Project

Romani
Emily Slender, Barry
Rakli (Gypsy girl), Barry

The Legend of the
Romani Cymreig / Welsh Romani

The Romanichal and the Kale

Among the Gypsies entering the south of Britain during the 15th-17th centuries were two main groups, the Romanichal and the Kale.  The Kale, who became the Welsh Gypsies, probably came from Spain, through France and landed in Cornwall, eventually making their way to Wales.

The two groups spoke different dialects.  By the end of the 19th century the pure form used by the Romanichal had died out.  It had mutated into a pidgin language, mixing Romani with English grammar and words, and this became the speech of Gypsies in England and South Wales.  However, in North Wales the authentic dialect of the Kale was kept intact by the Wood family and was spoken at least until the 1950s.  About 60% of this Welsh Romani consisted of Sanskrit (Indian) words; the remaining 40% harboured such tongues as Arabic, Iranian, Greek, Romanian, German, French, English and Welsh!

Tribal names
When Gypsies moved to a new region of Britain they often took on the family names of local (non-Gypsy) residents, hoping to gain protection against racial attack, or they might choose a name closest to their own in meaning.  Henceforth, they would use one name among themselves and the other to non-Romanies.  Some such borrowed surnames are Boswell, Buckland, Burton, Cooper, Gray, Heron, Ingram, Lee, Lovell, Smith, Stanley, Taylor, Wood and Young.  Each tribe was ruled over by a sero rom (headman) and would travel its own particular circuit within a wide area.

British Gypsies                   unKn
TRIBES
Ayre
Boswell
Brownhill
Forse

Henry Taylor  b 1838-1847 ?

1880 25th Sept Warrington workhouse birth James Taylor father Henry mother Ann Worral

son James Taylor baptism September 25th 1880. Have RC baptism James Taylor in Warrington James Taylor (my G dad) October 1880 child born September 25th 1880 Warrington, mother Ann ]Geraghty father Henry Taylor. No weds anywhere for Ann Worral or Geraghty and Henry Taylor. Is he made up for Ann and childrens protection as was an untraceable name then very common? Or was he a Gypsy traveller?

Then:

1881 census Ann Taylor Bolton workhouse Ann Taylor born Westmeath Ireland, married, two sons inmates my grandad and his brother Charles,

Then

1887 and 1889 my G uncle and granddad respectively enter St Josephs boys RC industrial school Manchester until age 16. Mother Ann Taylor married husband -no name dead! No marriage cert for Henry or Ann ever found. I wonder if he was a Gypsy, Ann is described as Tramp Vagrant in St Josephs records prison 5 times begging and drunkeness in Manchester jail.

Any help with Gypsy-Romany-Traveller experts? I know Taylor was a name used by Gypsy's, in Wales I read somewhere it was common with Travellers! They were not married, no baptisms apart from Waringrton wkhouse 1880 one, no marriage lines? only mention of Henry is the two above, maybe Ann's invention. I undertook a Y111 DNA paternal test and match absolutley no Taylors at all, but could a Taylor Gypsy not be a real Taylor of course, any help would be the D's Bllk's for me 16 years of trying for this guy Henry Taylor!

Offline Shieldslad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsy Traveller family Taylor 16 year slog
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 December 13 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry folks big FU with my text, mixing with the already unknown to me Brit Gypsy history text on page, however, I think it is clear after reading through thanks, any help well what dya say?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:24 GMT (UK) »
You might be making this more complicated than it really is- certainly large portions of text cut & pasted don't help reading though this.

Start with what seem to be the 'facts'-
Birth: 25 Sept.1880 Warrington workhouse - James Taylor father Henry mother Ann Worral
Baptism: Oct.1880 (RC) - James Taylor parents Henry Taylor & Ann Geraghty

1881 census-Bolton workhouse: Ann Taylor, born Westmeath Ireland, married. Two sons inmates- James & Charles

1887/1889 Charles & James enter St Josephs boys RC industrial school Manchester until age 16. Mother Ann Taylor married husband -no name dead! Ann is described as Tramp Vagrant in St Josephs records (prison 5 times begging and drunkeness in Manchester jail)

No marriage cert for Henry or Ann ever found.

If Ann was born in Ireland then it's possible that Henry Taylor was also Irish and they married in Ireland- have you checked for a marriage in Ireland yet?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Shieldslad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes! I didn't realise about the original Gypsy text!

Anyway you have it perfectly correct, that's it!

Yes, I checked UK and Ireland for marriages for Henry and Ann both Geraghty and Worral,  also looked for a Bap for son Charles Henry Taylor born Birmingham c 1876 (according to UK Census 1881 Bolton Farnworth workhouse) and for 1878 Bolton (St Josephs RC Boys Ind School Manchester) and for my Granddad James in Warrington (as per 1881 census workhouse) and Manchester (as per St Josephs RC Ind school). The latter  is where they were interned from). So after everything, could be Henry was a Gypsy with Taylor name (My Y 111 DNA proves no Taylor for me) or Ann made it up? Only ever had two mentions of name for Henry Taylor, Warr 1880 workhouse birth cert, and RC bap in Warrington, doesn't mean he was present there though!