Author Topic: Virginia Road School Tower Hamlets - current address?  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Alana81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Virginia Road School Tower Hamlets - current address?
« on: Monday 30 December 13 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Hoping someone might be able to help me.
I have just located a school record for my great grandfather. The location of the school is listed as below

Virginia Road School (0266) opened in 1875. Renamed Virginia School in 1951

I was wondering if anybody would know if the building is still standing, or if it may be the current Virginia Primary school? (below)

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=Virginia+Primary+School&fb=1&gl=au&hq=virginia+primary+school+tower+hamlets&cid=17573114438448828737&ei=FbjAUsaaGuePiAf0uYH4DA&ved=0CJsBEPwSMAo

Its can be very difficult to find out these kind of details from here in Australia, and I thought this would be the best place to find the answer.

With thanks,
Alana
Gobby, Lewis, Leckie, Llewellyn, Reeve, Pears, Ingles, Kerr, Beckley, Thomas

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Road School Tower Hamlets - current address?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 December 13 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I think it is still there in some form, Google Virginia School Hackney and it should come up.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 December 13 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Alana81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 December 13 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

I just wanted to make sure that this was in the actual school location (I know that the nearby Rochelle School was previously Nichol St School). The current Virginia Primary School website doesn't appear to have any information regarding it's history.
Gobby, Lewis, Leckie, Llewellyn, Reeve, Pears, Ingles, Kerr, Beckley, Thomas

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 December 13 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I see from the website that it does have a page headed Our History - coming soon. I take that to mean that someone is working on it. Why not email them and explain that your great grandfather was a pupil there in ...... and ask if they have any information? When I was teaching, we often had such requests and were able to pass on information from the admission books and from the log books of the relevant years. In one case, I remember, the person's grandfather was actually mentioned in the log book as being caned for fighting.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A bit more info here.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0xeq/

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 10:14 GMT (UK) »

I might be wrong, - (I don't have current access to Ancestry) but I think that Ancestry has some London School Records?

I'm pretty certain that I found my late Grandmother's School Records in Greenwich in the 1900's on that Site a while back.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline gollyitslolly

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 February 20 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Hoping someone might be able to help me.
I have just located a school record for my great grandfather. The location of the school is listed as below

Virginia Road School (0266) opened in 1875. Renamed Virginia School in 1951

I was wondering if anybody would know if the building is still standing, or if it may be the current Virginia Primary school? (below)

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=Virginia+Primary+School&fb=1&gl=au&hq=virginia+primary+school+tower+hamlets&cid=17573114438448828737&ei=FbjAUsaaGuePiAf0uYH4DA&ved=0CJsBEPwSMAo

Its can be very difficult to find out these kind of details from here in Australia, and I thought this would be the best place to find the answer.

With thanks,
Alana
Hello Alana, I too now love in Australia and had relatives 2 great great uncles that went to Virginia Primary school in 1875 and 1876. I find the records on Ancestry. I wondered if you discoverd any information about your relative?  Our relatives possibly attended together?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 February 20 19:40 GMT (UK) »
The original enquirer hasn't been online for over 2 years but, just to confirm for those interested in this school (from Cliff Webb’s An Index of London Schools and their Records, 3rd edn, 2007):

Virginia Road School, Shoreditch High Street, E2. Opened 1875; formerly New Castle Street School; renamed Virginia Primary School, 1951.
LMA has (under EO/DIV 5/VIR):
Admission/Discharge: 1875-1928 (boys); 1875-1939 (infants); 1902-1930 (girls)
Logbooks: 1900-1943 (infants); 1913-1929 (boys); 1914-1930 (girls); 1939-1943 (mixed)

You’ll find some of the A&D registers (up to 1911) on Ancestry, but not the later ones, and not the logbooks of course.

Closure for school records at LMA is 65 years from the last entry (except for A&D registers, which are 30 years). So all the above should be open to access.