Author Topic: Jacob Solomon (brickwall)  (Read 2851 times)

Offline leka

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Solomon (brickwall)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 January 14 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil
Thank you for all the 'morass of movable feasts' info, i'm sure that will help my research further down the line.

Hi 2zpool
I think i will just stick with Jacob being christened on the 15th Mar 1818 and discard New Years Day. i have found that New Years Day was on the 21st March but this was in the 16th century and using a different calender,a little before Jacob's time ;D.
my main problem is that there are Solomon's and Salmon's all living in the same area in the NE of England and proving which is the correct spelling or as my initial post says possible misspelling is the problem as i don't want to go down the wrong road :-\
Thank you to everyone who has answered my post ,i'm very greatful :)
Solomon,Pullan,Charlton

Offline Ormewalk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 February 24 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the info on Jacob Solomon. Catherine is my GT GT Grandmother. She married John Cresswell. He died aged 37 1880. He was a engineer at felling colliery. There is a good write up of his inquest in the Jarrow Guardian.
I had been stuck with Thomas until I learnt the name Salmon/Salman (Saw man) was used. The 19th century switch in spelling may be due to pronunciation but also a lot of Cornish miners came north and they used Solomon. Thomas I used to think married a Isabella Weldon in Sunderland in 1781, but then I found an Elizabeth Donnison in 11/11/1780 in Chester le Street, Durham, which as a location made more sense. However the records tend to be for a Isabella & John combination.
Jacob's wife Jane died in 1865 Colliery Row Houghton Le Spring. I was fascinated to learn of a book.
I accidentally deleted my first write so this is a replacement and I hope I have remembered the dates!

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 February 24 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Isabella is equivalent to Elizabeth and they are interchangeable.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline leka

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 February 24 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ormewalk
It's been 10years since i enquired about Jacob Solomon who is my 3xGr Grandad.His Father was Thomas Salmon and his Mother was Jane Gray, his Grandfather was John Salmon and Grandmother Elizabeth Donnison. Jacob married Elizabeth Robinson in 1843 in Kelloe County Durham and had seven children of which his eldest daughter married John Creswell on Christmas Day 1863. It was Jacob's mother who died 19th Aug 1865 in Collier Row.If you look up Peter D Salmon born 1820 & died 1822 you will find that his middle name is Donnison (who is his Granmother) and that his parents are Thomas & Jane Salmon.Your 2xgr grandad John & Catherine i believe had six children but only two were still alive at the turn of the century, Elizabeth 1864/1930 & Edward 1865/1924.I hope this helps your research.
leka
Solomon,Pullan,Charlton