Author Topic: enoch and ann wakeley  (Read 3450 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: enoch and ann wakeley
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 June 05 20:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your research Valda. here is the reason I got onto the trail with Enoch, and see if you can follow my logic!
I was actually searching for George harry(Henry) Milner who was born in 1878 in Stoke to John Milner -a metal mounter - and 'Ann Milner' formerly Wakeley. I have the birth cert. I could not trace this family in 1881 and I know that at some point, Harry Milner's mother remarried and became a Mrs Potter. I have been unable to trace a marriage between John Milner and ann wakeley - I then found a John Milner of around the right age, died in 1879 age 37 Stoke. In 1881, I found an Ann wakeley working as a servant in salford, showing as born 1853 St Georges salop. this set me on a trail for her family in 1881, only to discover an entry for Enoch and ann wakeley (aged 64 and 54) with a daughter Thirsa, Son Jsaper ... and a 'son' George H M Wakeley Aged 3 born 1878 Potteries.
Now George Harry Milner has been notoriously difficult to trace but in my mind this looked like p[ossibly Ann's parents taking the young child on board after she was widowed, whilst she went and found work. Particularly as it seemed unlikely with Enoch and Ann's ages, they would not have had a son aged 3 but more likely to be looking after a grandson aged 3. Also, Georhe H M Wakeley could easily be referring to 'George Harry/henry Milner Wakeley.
Hannah Wakeley married James Potter in 1882 and she is shown as Wakeley and not Milner on the marriage details, implying that she and John Milner never actually married. This is how I arrived at Enoch and ann possibly being the parents of Ann/Hannah wakeley.
Now I will study the info you have sent me and see how this is all going to work out.
I hope you can follow my thinking - this one has been really hard to follow!
Following the story of Hannah Wakeley. it would seem that she and James Potter then had a son frederick in 1882. james Potter (hubby 2) then died in 1883/1890 and she remarried again in 1890 to Henry Hand (much older than her). in 1891 there is an entry for henry hand age 69 9own means), wife Hannah Hand  age 38 Born 1853 St Georges, Son harry potter (for decency sake?) born 1878 Etruria Staffs (is this Harry Milner??) and son fred Potter age 8 born Burslem.
Henry hand then died in 1895 age 73 and 1901 shows just hannah Hand age 47 - own means, along with son Fred Potter age 18 born Burslem.
I know that Harry Milner fought in the Boer War so that is why I can't trace him in 1901 and when he married in 1904, the witnesses were Hannah Potter and Frederick Potter.
So I hope you can follow my reasoning!
Now I will study all your info and see how it is going to make sense. Mrs Potter is known in the family to 'have been a bit of a one!! with a reputation'. If my research is right, I am beginning to understand why!!!!!!!!!!!!
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 June 05 23:38 BST (UK) »
I think you need one of her marriage certificates to establish who her father was. Without that evidnece (though I can follow your reasoning and I think it is very good) it is just speculation and a lot of effort, which in the end won't actually prove it one way or the other.  I think it could be sorted out (hopefully) fairly easily if you knew who her father actually was. From that information you could then try and work out where she was prior 1881.
Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 June 05 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks valda - I think I'll order the hannah wakeley/James Potter cert and follow that through - the Henry hand later marriage is abit doubtful so thank you for your good advice! I've untangled worse than this but sometimes you can become so engrossed with the whole scenario it takes someone a bit more detached to see the wood from the trees! Thank you - I guess that will also help me firm up my research on harry milner - who is my direct descendant and the root cause of this search! Thank you so much for all your research - I have it all in my holding file pending the receipt of the marriage cert!
Huge thanks - caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)