Author Topic: Lastmakers  (Read 1195 times)

Offline crackpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lastmakers
« on: Sunday 19 June 05 18:40 BST (UK) »
Looking for info. regarding lastmakers.  My g and ggrandfathers were lastmakers in London. Is there anyone who has records for this occupation? I thought if there are records its another way to trace relatives.
Crackpot
Male --Cheshire
Thorburn--Cheshire, Liverpool, Plymoutrh devon, Cheltenham
Tailyour--Scotland, Devon

Offline Copyright-Editor

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lastmakers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 05 21:00 BST (UK) »
Do you know what a "last" is?

For those who don't know, it is the shoemaker's model of the foot on which boots and shoes are made or repaired.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 05 21:26 BST (UK) »
When I was young and single and prosperous I had my shoes hand made by Charles Clore [afterwards the Saxone Shoe Company]. A last maker took elaborate measurements of my feet and made a wooden "last" - a model, in effect of the foot. They kept this and although I moved abroad I ordered 3 pairs of shoes from them every year [brown brogues, brown oxfords, black oxfords]until one time there was no response. That is almost certainly the work your ancestor did. The 1881 census on Ancestry allows a search by occupation by the way.
There is another type of last which was a queer sort of 3-footed metal anvil on which shoes were repaired and perhaps still are. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 June 05 04:37 BST (UK) »
my g/father had a three footed one,it was three different sizes of feet,possibly men,women and childrens,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.